VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was unable to fully close our pop top the other day as the catches had become misaligned. Has anyone had this problem? Is there an easy solution? It's an sca roof and wasn't cheap! Advice welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi , Ive had my SCA 192 3 years almost now and last year i had a similar problem, all what happened with mine was we were at Brean in Weston and the wind was so strong everybody put rooves down and tents were snappin, My rear hinges twistded slightly and the catches were hitting the bracket thing on the van, so we had too pull the roof to the left for them to drop in, next time i put the roof up I pulled it more too the left and it realined the hinges, only damage done was where the scissor hinge rubbed it took the paint off, Thankfully,
dont know if this is the same issue you have ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! It was fairly windy but I wouldn't have expected this to happen. Only managed to get one of the catches closed after a bit of moving to right etc. only had it fitted last month so a bit gutted after spending that bit extra on a decent roof. Hopefully shouldn't be a problem as we'll get it back to the fitter. Just worried that it might happen again! Had to drive home real slow as it wasn't fully closed!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sounds like a different problem to what I had? As I said mine was the whole roof twisted. About 10mm out of line. For 1 lock too move out of line is sounding strange. Is it possible that the tent was caught in the lock mech and stopped the lock engaging? I was warned about that as a precaution to not cause a tear in the tent. Who fitted it . Mine was done by Eclipse in Yeovil

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a 192 and was in the Hebrides earlier in the year. Needless to say it was very windy one night and I couldn't get my roof to lock down on one side. It had misaligned by an inch or so. After persisting for an hour is so I had to leave. It would lock down on one side. Later that day after driving the vehicle it had realigned and has been fine ever since.

If yours isn't I'd go ha k to the installer. Mine was supplied by three bridges and they have been great from install T:T:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for responses. Roof is all sorted now. The fitter got in touch with sca who talked through the solution. My other half sorted it quite easily once he knew what to do. Something to do with tightening up bolts which had come slightly loose. Hopefully it's all sorted now and there'll be no more probs. However, he's gonna keep a spanner handy and will know what to do next time. It's good to hear that you've had no further problems with yours Deltabox!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi, as an SCA owner it would be good if your other half could post a little more detail about which particular bolts (pictures are always appreciated ) as a guide for the rest of us just in case we encounter the same problem.
Many thanks

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hi, as an SCA owner it would be good if your other half could post a little more detail about which particular bolts (pictures are always appreciated ) as a guide for the rest of us just in case we encounter the same problem.
Many thanks
i had a problem with the locking system on mine 192 I had pushed the handle to open it to hard and the cable slipped through the screw,,, just like adjusting brakes on a bike... so just adjusted it and it was fine now A:A: happy days A:A: MikeO50 yes a little more detail about which particular bolts (pictures are always appreciated ) as a guide for the rest of us just in case we encounter the same problem. if you could it would be great thanks in advance

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll get more details and pics posted on here later to explain further. It seems like it wasn't a big problem but at the time, in the peeing down rain and a drive home it was a pain in the ass!! As you can imagine, spending all that £££ on a decent roof it was even more frustrating! We also had no tools on board so couldn't really do a lot.
Apart from that- loving the roof- a lovely piece of kit!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Any more info on this as I had the same problem on holiday.
Could only get one side to lock in and had to push the roof in from the outside to get it to click into the lock on the other side.
Just seems to be about a couple of mm out but am 3 hours away from where I got it fitted so could do with a few pointers on how to adjust.
Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi
My other half is back tonight so I will get the info up on here tonight.
It was a simple solution apparantly so nothing to worry about ( I hope).
He's fixed ours but I'm just hoping it doesn't keep reoccurring. It was a pain when were were away as a lot of hassle trying to get it to slot in the catch so we could drive home. Only managed one catch. All that was needed was a spanner and some tightening. I'll get details and pics tonight. Is yours an SCA roof too? Was wondering if this is a common problem with them. Does it happen with other roofs too. We wre advised that sca were the best. You would hope so for that money!

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I think you will find that the SCA is still a lot better than many of the other options....just that they havent put the same level of design input into the lwb as they have with their swb models. The catch system does seem to need some tweaking after the initial set up, as the rubbers bed in etc.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Yeah mine is a SCA roof too.
Very pleased with it apart from this little problem but should be easily sorted hopefully

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First of all you need to stand at the back and look down the van to see which side the roof is veering towards ( whilst roof is down). If it's the right side, you need to loosen the left side bolt on the back hinge. ( you need a 13mm ring spanner) Loosen off slightly and then you can push the roof back into position (elevated roof at this point) then tighten the hinge back up. Lower roof back down then check. If it won't lock down into place with 2 clicks adjust the locking mechanism. - loosen bolts, adjust, then tighten back up.
Any problems speak to my other half who will prob be able to explain better. He told me to put his number on here. It's good to know there's someone who might be able to help out when you're stuck, away from home. Rich: 07766202700 (ideally need 2 people to adjust)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts