VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.

Newbee here. Just picked up my T5 from having a full conversion complete with SCA roof. Very happy chappy. A:

But I'm after some advice from any SCA roof owners or fitters. When I shut the roof (taking care not to pinch the canvas etc and that the mattress is sitting as it should) I end up with a very small gap and the rear by the scissor hinges. I'm talking about 1mm here on both sides for about a 3" section. The rest of the roof seal is sitting nice and snug. Tried pulling the roof down at that point from the outside but doesn't quite want to stay down. I'm a bit worried about water getting up underneath when I drive in the rain.

I've asked my fitter the same question, but want to see what you chaps think - second opinion - as he always takes his time getting back to me - busy on vans...

Is this common? Any thing I can do? - hoping I don't have to take the van back it's a bit of a drive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
1mm isn't going to ever be a problem, at least if any water did get in, it coud get back out again. it's a sealed unit and if you drive on the fast side, i find the roof will lift ever so slightly anyway which would in theory let the water in, but it can't get past the canvas, i always leave mine on the loose side when driving normally so it can breathe, it's only pulled super tight when on the motorway.

i'll take a look at mine later and see if i can see a gap. T:

just looked, and mine is nice & tight!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chap. That would be really helpful T:

Interesting that you leave your roof on the loose side to allow a little air flow. I'm a little paranoid about the canvas getting damp and covered with mildew. Less so about it leaking - as you say its a sealed unit. But you've obviously never had an issue?

Do post back on any gaps!

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, Mine has 2 locked positions, the 1st click does lock it, but it rattles at the side sliders. The 2nd click is difficult to do from the inside - I always go outside & hang onto the ridge at the bolts (I'm 14 stone!) then you hear another click - it doesn't rattle as much over potholes in this position.....Not sure this is normal?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Mine has 2 locked positions, the 1st click does lock it, but it rattles at the side sliders. The 2nd click is difficult to do from the inside - I always go outside & hang onto the ridge at the bolts (I'm 14 stone!) then you hear another click - it doesn't rattle as much over potholes in this position.....Not sure this is normal?
Sounds similar. I've tried doing the same. Grab the rails by the rear hinges and tug it downwards. It goes down easy enough, just leaves this litte gap... Mine doesn't rattle though! Sure it's not beer and camping kit?I:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks T4london. Didn't realise there was a meet so close! I'm only in Woking. Might not be ale to make this Sunday but how often are they? Will see if there is a meet thread A:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just managed to figure out what's rattling - Mine's the deluxe version and it was the aluminium sliding panel that's rattling against the inner roof panel over big potholes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts