VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week brings an end to a daunting task that was first proposed by our customer last year at a show. "If I buy a lwb caravelle, can you fit a roof to it?".....probably!I: he says, never expecting it to go any further. A few months later and the customer (Andy) is negotiating a deal on a new lwb caravelle.....with sunroof:eek:. in black:eek:.
"can you fit an SCA lwb 192 delux roof, and keep the functionality of the air con and heating in the roof, plus the alarm sensors and some lights, and blend it in with the original roof panels?":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:......Yes, I am sure its possible!
Andy sends some photos of a few examples he has found on the net and we get the roof ordered.
After a delayed start, we took delivery of the van 3 weeks ago.

I knew this was going to be a taxing build due to the level of strip out and refit, plus trying to maintain an oem look. Usually we rip everything out and build it all as we want....here we would be trying to make it look and fit like it did originally...but fitting around an sca frame.

First job as always....thorough wash.

Next job, strip out the interior.

Next, protect the floor and double mask the sides of the van to minimize the chance of any swarf damage.

Next, cut the roof.

Fit strengthening frame and sca pod. Being a twin slider and sunroof model this was a bit more fun than usual;). A couple of the grab handle brackets were in the way of the SCA under brackets. If were were not refitting the headlining it would not be a problem, but these are the only thing holding up the heaadliner. They had to be cut off and reshaped to fit back over the brackets.

Luckily for us, Andy had not only purchased a new headlining (without a sunroof), but had also acquired an old one that we could do a test fit with.
Having filled the sunroof hole, fixed the frame and pod in place we then had to trim the roof lining to fit. We used a lipped rubber trim to hold the headlining to the fibreglass pod. Over the rear windows the headliner did want to dip a little due to the pull on the upper edge. A block of wood and some sikaflex and an overnight clamp sorted this out.
Along each flank of headliner we fitted 4 down lights. Front 2, rear 2 switched left and right. The roof area is lit with 2 long stalk lights and a further 2 short stalk lights are fitted in the rear for reading.

The front console was replaced with the donor one (without sunroof control) and any (quite a few) unused parts of the wiring loom were insulated and taped out of the way.
The rear wiring loom was extended to allow the central light / heater control unit to be relocated at the rear end of the van in a custom built housing.

We upgraded the rear speakers to pioneer components, but having stripped the door card we decided that the front speakers on the caravelle seemed a lot better than standard van speakers so just sound deadened the doors to improve the sound a little.

A reimo multi rail was fitted to both sides, and to top off our work, we added an omnistore 5300 3m awning to the drivers side allowing the use of a driveaway awning on the passenger side.

To be honest, this was quite a daunting project on a very expensive base vehicle. Andy had done loads of research on parts and supplied more information than I could have found myself. He also fitted his eberspacher ducting the air through the dirvers B pillar using a factory B pillar vent and installed a leisure battery and hook up prior to us working on the vehicle.
I dont suppose its a conversion we would be asked to do on a regular basis, but at least we know how much work is involved...loads:D.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Yes that looks like a lot of work, fairs do's for attempting it. Difficult one to quote for!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Very nice work A:

I have 2 t5, one of which is to have a pop top fitted. My wife would prefer the Caravelle to have the new roof and I can see
her reasons, the only problem is keeping the air con in the rear. Very spooky but I posted a question on the facebook page yesterday and no one replied then I see this !

Are you able to pm me with an indication of costs please to install the Sca roof and bed pack ? Swb Caravelle exec 2011.

Rgds

Kev

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks Ed, you've done a fantastic job!

A couple of extras Ed also installed:

Pair of roof rails to which I've fitted Thule Aero bars

Ultra discrete reversing camera

An here's what the finished interior looks like. Very neat!

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice work. How much longer did it take compared to a standard panel van?
Initially we had guestimated on around 40 hours more than a standard roof fit.
The problems with the caravelle were the initial strip out probably took 5 or 6 hours. Loads of electrics and more complicated looms to keep out of the way when cutting. Wiring for the sunroof. which would not be used any more.
Filling the sunroof hole and removing and refitting the grab handle welded brackets was another few hours extra. Cutting and fitting the new headliner and lights was easily 6-8 hours, then refitting all the interior again was another 2-3.
Extending the wiring loom and making the housing for the lights / air con and fitting was a good 2 days work (although I dare say it would be easier second time around). All in all it was probably not far off 40 hours extra.....but there was a lot of pondering and headscratching time on top;).

The main area where we struggled, was the shape of the headliner around the B pillar upper sliding door protrusions. The headliner is shaped quite a lot around these and it does not lie anywhere near the flat edge of the sca roof inner. We managed to squeeze them enough to get the roof trim over the edge, but it was one part that really had me beat. When we carpet a panel van and make a plinth to go around this area we have a lot more control of how things sit...but the caravelle roof liner and sca roof inner are just not very compatible shapes.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Good job Ed, its nice to conquer a challenge T:T:T:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Looks great does that - well done Ed!

Can I ask what the camera is? I want a reversing camera but every one I've found so far is so far from being discrete, I may as well just attach one of those big Bongo-esque reversing mirrors to the back of the van!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Great install! Love the way you've kept the roof vents/lights

I'm a little confused though as to why someone would order a brand new van with a sunroof only to have the sunroof removed to fit an elevating roof?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Ed, you've done a fantastic job!

A couple of extras Ed also installed:

Pair of roof rails to which I've fitted Thule Aero bars

Ultra discrete reversing camera

An here's what the finished interior looks like. Very neat!
Hi Andy

I've just bought a T5 shuttle, which I'm getting ready to convert. Can I ask what you ended up doing with the lower sections of your plastic trims? Did you remove them or fit cabinets/bed around them?

What about the shuttle floor?

Thanks
Dylan

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Andy

I've just bought a T5 shuttle, which I'm getting ready to convert. Can I ask what you ended up doing with the lower sections of your plastic trims? Did you remove them or fit cabinets/bed around them?

What about the shuttle floor?

Thanks
Dylan
Hi Dylan,

Our van is a Caravelle, so the panels stayed and the rear bench forms the bed. Floor is standard carpet with seat rails. We don;t have cabinets. We prefer the extra space and use an awning for extended stays.

Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts