VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done Scandinavia in their van? Really fancy but insure of where to go, what to see and if it's expensive or not.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Yes it can be expensive.

Where to go? Anywhere. But the issue you will have is getting there as most of the ferrys have been stopped from the UK. The Harwich - Esberg finishes in a month.

So I would plan around the trip there as part of it. But there are a number running from the top of Denmark to Norway and Sweden.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Very sad news about the ferry situation. The freight ferry (which we used) will continue but increases in fares are expected. I have to say, coupled with the fantastic weather this year, Norway has been one of our absolute best countries we've ever been to. We do intend to return someday....

Regarding costs, we took all our food with us to reduce costs. Ferries all range from £10-15 so we totted up £200 or so. Fuel is a similar price (if not cheaper) to the uk.

Top tips:

Be practical on how far you can travel - Norway is a big country.
Take all your own food and alcohol
Plan on staying 1/4 on campsites (£20 for 2 people)
Travelling by road is very slow - 250km takes 4/5 hours
Fill up with water at petrol stations rather than bottled water

ENJOY the very beautiful place.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, great tips. T:

I'm going to start the planning shortly. Initial thoughts are Harwich-Hamburg then Hamburg-Denmark then onwards from there but we'll see.

Make do with the Yorkshire dales next week first! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
You could take the Euroshuttle and then drive to Denmark and take "The Bridge" to Malmo , Sweden, ( have you watched The Bridge on BBC 4 ) then either turn left for Norway or strait on up Sweden and then into Northern Norway.
That's what I'll be doing next year when I retire.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had no idea you could get the ferry from immingham! I lived in Hessle, East Yorkshire (on the right side of the Humber bridge!) for 16 years and knew nothing about it!

Plenty to think about anyway. I'm happy with the potential options and a bit excited about it already!

Anyone know what the score is with dogs over there? I.e. Are they welcome in campsites etc?

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Yeah, dogs no problem.

Ferry is £570 for van + 2 adults. Limited facilities but includes good and cabin. Be careful, is does an undocumented stop in Gotenburg and doesn't reach norway for 14 more hrs! Crossing is 27hrs but my advice is to jump off in Sweden. Don't know if it makes it cheaper but saves 11hrs (3hrs) drive to Oslo ish. We then returned via Esjberg but Denmark is dull compared with norway. If you have any more q's feel free to ask

·
Registered
528 Posts
If one is travelling with pets, then it can be a problem going by freight ferries. I'm pretty sure that pets are not allowed on the freight ferries between UK and Scandinavia.

I have a summer cottage in the south west part of Sweden. We go by car from southern Spain to Sweden every summer. It's almost a 4.000 kms drive, so driving to England doesn't feel that far :) July has been fantastic, warm and sunny, but it's been raining a lot during the last few weeks. One has to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. We're now getting prepared for heading back to southern Spain in short.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Just got back from a trip to Denmark.

Route out was Dover-Dunkirk, across Belgium, Holland (Eindhoven), Osnabruck, Hamburg, Lubeck- nice campsite.
Flensburg to Ribe.

Good job I'd just fitted an Eberspracher.

They've had the best summer for years but the weather had just broken.
We got interviewed by "VistDemark" because they see so few Brits.

Then across to Copenhagen, the bridge is spectacular.
Three nights at a nice campsite by the coast 17km south of the city.
Went in on the train (very good).

Viking ship museum at Roskilde is good.

Route back Copenhagen-Rodbyhaven ferry back to Puttgarden in Germany.

Denmark is nice, not as expensive as people say and diesel is cheaper.
Most people speak English and all the history stuff is in English.

Back thru Germany, Luneburg (got a parking ticket but got it cancelled by a nice council officer).
Hanover (searched for the T5 factory but better half got bored before I found it).
Hamelin (Pied Piper of) avoid the town centre campsite by the river.
Nice ramble back thru Germany.(Got flashed going too fast thru a road junction, expecting a letter in the post any day).

Spa-Brussels-Dunkirk (really nice campsite near the port at Grand-Fort-Phillipe).

Two weeks, bit more than 2k miles bit less than 4x tankfuls (nearly made 40mpg on one leg)

Nice trip, never been there before but would go earlier in the year to try for better weather and would try Sweden as well.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I'm still on my way back from Northern Norway at the moment. We had to go both ways on the DFDS Newcastle to Amsterdam. It was only £250 to go back in October but it was £450 when we took off at the back end of August. I tried to get the ferry back from Esbjeg but that is cancelled from the this month. I looked at the freight ferry back from Norway and Sweden to Immingham but they kept emailing me back saying the sailing I wanted were wither cancelled or for service personnel only (theres a big NATO training this going on in Norway at the moment). If you can get the freight sailings then great but the Newcastle to Amsterdam was the best bet for me. We took the Color line ferry from Hitshals to Kristiansand which was a cracking ferry. There is also the Fjord-line ferry for the same route or further north to Stavanger & Bergen. I'd use that one and get right into Stavanger and Lysefjord. Norway is by far and away the best place to be in my opinion. So much so I'm moving next year :ILU:
I've put a few photos on my build thread below. The Norway national tourist routes are fantastic too. They have spent a fortune setting them all out with amazing view point and architecture. www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en
My favourite was the Helgelandskysten coastal route if you can get up that far north but it takes the best part of a week to do.
The map has the all the places we went on the way up. Good luck T:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@59.75999,6.995185,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!6m1!1szaSkebs8ftF4.kRZ9YFRSuKtE

http://s316.photobucket.com/user/mattwilde66/library/Syd%20goes%20Nordic

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm still on my way back from Northern Norway at the moment. We had to go both ways on the DFDS Newcastle to Amsterdam. It was only £250 to go back in October but it was £450 when we took off at the back end of August. I tried to get the ferry back from Esbjeg but that is cancelled from the this month. I looked at the freight ferry back from Norway and Sweden to Immingham but they kept emailing me back saying the sailing I wanted were wither cancelled or for service personnel only (theres a big NATO training this going on in Norway at the moment). If you can get the freight sailings then great but the Newcastle to Amsterdam was the best bet for me. We took the Color line ferry from Hitshals to Kristiansand which was a cracking ferry. There is also the Fjord-line ferry for the same route or further north to Stavanger & Bergen. I'd use that one and get right into Stavanger and Lysefjord. Norway is by far and away the best place to be in my opinion. So much so I'm moving next year :ILU:
I've put a few photos on my build thread below. The Norway national tourist routes are fantastic too. They have spent a fortune setting them all out with amazing view point and architecture. www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en
My favourite was the Helgelandskysten coastal route if you can get up that far north but it takes the best part of a week to do.
The map has the all the places we went on the way up. Good luck T:
some great pics there, love to do that sort of road trip. did you leave the van and get out and about, rock climbing, walking nor anything?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Cheers, Aye I left it at my partners parents up in Beiarn and she stayed there whilst I flew back to work for 2 weeks. Now I'm back over and we're driving back. We did a few walks up round Odda. Trolltunga was the best by far.

Me & Mar & Trolltunga by Matt Wilde, on Flickr

We wanted to do Kjeragbolten (that cool wedged rock) and Preikestolen but the weather was appalling so we're saving that for another day as its not for from Stavanger which is more accessible that the rest of Norway. We also wanted to do Bessegen too which is a classic Norwegian walk but we couldn't fit everything in. There plenty of routes to find here:

http://english.turistforeningen.no/index.php?fo_id=3982

I can't wait to get back to it. The weather is beginning to turn bad now. Sognnefjellet which is where we went on the way up is now blocked with heavy snow and Storms have hit the west coast where we were last week so we timed it just right to head south. The Autumn colours are amazing though this time of year.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks for great information and photos. It comes in handy since we're planing to go for our big "polar-tour" in the next few years. We might do northern Norway and Finland one summer and the south west part of Norway another summer.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Brief update on the ferry situation to Norway. I asked DFDS who said that the ferry to Norway wasn't running anymore however, that may be true but it is running to Gothenburg and its 3 hrs drive to Norway. Really bad marketing from them otherwise I would have been there this year. So next year it is then.....it's awesome.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Brief update on the ferry situation to Norway. I asked DFDS who said that the ferry to Norway wasn't running anymore however, that may be true but it is running to Gothenburg and its 3 hrs drive to Norway. Really bad marketing from them otherwise I would have been there this year. So next year it is then.....it's awesome.
Maybe, they misunderstood you. There's only ro-ro freight ships running between UK and Gothenburg. There hasn't been any passenger ferry running this route for years, but it was great when DFDS operated Prince and Princess of Scandinavia between Gothenburg and Harwich.

According to the ro-ro freight shipping website of DFDS, they still seam to have a ro-ro route between Immingham and Brevik in Norway.

I think one of the differences between ro-ro freighter ships and passenger ferries is that they need to have a doctor on board if they take more then 12 passengers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts