VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have never touched vehicle electrics before this van, researched then made a schoolboy error trying to splice in a reverse camera wire to the reversing light wire. I cut at the wrong point. See photo. No slack in wire to splice in to :-( Can I just connect up a similar wire in between to fix, then continue elsewhere?

·
Special Rapporteur
10,152 Posts
Yeah - as long as the wire being inserted isn't significantly thinner it will be fine. Heatshrink over the top would be good when you're done - quite a lot of the wiring problems I see on older cars are because of wiring mods where people have not insulated properly...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is this at front or rear?

Would like to know location of a reverse signal wire as near head unit as possible for trigger to headunit!

·
Special Rapporteur
10,152 Posts
Doesn't it go along the dash and then up the n/s A-pillar? I had the trim panel off only a couple of weeks ago - wish I'd taken a closer look at the loom while it was exposed...

Alternatively you should be able to pick it up at Pin 12, connector B on your J519 (2009 onward vans - haven't checked if that's true for older vans).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this at front or rear?

Would like to know location of a reverse signal wire as near head unit as possible for trigger to headunit!
Its above passenger side sliding door. Ridiculous place to cut the wire I guess (as a novice) . . no slack to perform the splice. Someone else more skilled might beg to differ. Still - learning process for me and fixable I hope.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't it go along the dash and then up the n/s A-pillar? I had the trim panel off only a couple of weeks ago - wish I'd taken a closer look at the loom while it was exposed...

Alternatively you should be able to pick it up at Pin 12, connector B on your J519 (2009 onward vans - haven't checked if that's true for older vans).
Can you give me an idiots guide to 'Pin 12, connector B on your J519' please?

·
Special Rapporteur
10,152 Posts
It's otherwise known as the "Onboard power supply" among other names, and it's behind the lower dash trim panel about level with the driver's right knee.

Mine has two 73-pin connectors on it where it's quite easy to tap in (I last needed to do that for the towbar wiring), but I ~think~ the connectors are different on the pre-facelift models, so care needed with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts