VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The misus has just accepted a voluntary redundancy offer that was too good to turn down, which is all great, apart from we work in the same place and I use to use her car for back and fourth to work. From next month I'm going to have to start using my bus, but I don't want to do this because though it's only a journey of 4-5 miles it's a pain, nose to tail most of the way and the parking is pants also. Anyway, thinking of getting a little 50cc moped, no experience at all with them and I have a couple of questions, I know it's £17 a year tax but what's the insurance like on them, what can I expect to pay, I'm 41, ball park figure...? Also, has anyone used or know anyone who's used this company http://www.scooter.co.uk

sorry not very T4 related but thanks for any info you can give me T:

·
Registered
452 Posts
What about a push bike?

You save cash on fuel, tax etc, parking and you get fit by treading to and from work too. I:

A push bike could be a bit cheaper than a scooter, as you'll have to have the safety equipment, do your CBT then buy a scooter. A:

Some employers do a cycle to work scheme were you get a huge discount off a new bike.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Honda have brought back the C70/C90 concept in the Innova commuter bikes. They're the future. And the past.

·
Registered
267 Posts
thinking of getting a little 50cc moped, :[/QUOTE]

I have 2 scooters I have to sell, I bought them for 2 lads working for m cut the story short they turned out to be a couple of wasters. I'm about 15 min down the road from you, if you fancy a look at them let me knows. Got a Yamaha Aerox and a TGB both 50's TGB has a new 70 kit n it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did the same for a little while when I was between cars.

It's a shame because you can be the best rider in the world but unfortunately you can't control other people.
When I had a lorry follow me just a few inches off my back wheel it put me off! If you do go ahead with if I suggest a 125 so you can move a little quicker than a 50

·
Registered
171 Posts
The misus has just accepted a voluntary redundancy offer that was too good to turn down, which is all great, apart from we work in the same place and I use to use her car for back and fourth to work. From next month I'm going to have to start using my bus, but I don't want to do this because though it's only a journey of 4-5 miles it's a pain, nose to tail most of the way and the parking is pants also. Anyway, thinking of getting a little 50cc moped, no experience at all with them and I have a couple of questions, I know it's £17 a year tax but what's the insurance like on them, what can I expect to pay, I'm 41, ball park figure...? Also, has anyone used or know anyone who's used this company http://www.scooter.co.uk

A buddy of mine has these for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321207534303?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Not as cheap as moped, but a lot cooler.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I cycle to work 2 or 3 times a week (its a 27 mile round trip for me ) so a 10 mile round trip is doable if you build up to it . the mane problem with the cycle to work scheme is the employer has to pay for the bike up front and most small firms are unwilling to do it

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If you go scooter, given that you have to take the CBT just go for the 125cc...for comuting look at a twist and go which is water cooled. A Vespa GTA 125 is good, I started out on a Piaggio X8 years ago and that would average 75 mpg and hold its own on any road. A 50cc comes restricted to 30 mph and even if de-restricted is a danger due to other road users up your tail.

A push bike is good if you can live with it. I now have a Suzuki Burgman 400 for commute and Lifan Dax look alike Monkey bike to take in the back of my multivan. With the twist a go scooters you have storage space under the seat for all your wet weather kit and helmet. With the X8 and now the Burgman I can travel to office in normal clothes with a bike jacket over the top and still have clean shoes and trousers at the other end.

Also it becomes addictive and two wheels and engine does not have to mean superbikes. I get stacks more grin to the mile off the monkey bike than I do riding sons Bandit.

What ever you go for...just remember to Life Saver check every time. T:

·
Registered
21 Posts

Bloke at work bought a 125 scooter from them had problems registering it ,think you'll be better off getting a secondhand bike from a proper bike shop or bike trader etc
Only my opinion though

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
bike simples!!!!! it aint any distance to even think twice about.. easy distance, exercise benefits.. only outlay would be on decent wet weather gear!!!!! no brainer

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
bike simples!!!!! it aint any distance to even think twice about.. easy distance, exercise benefits.. only outlay would be on decent wet weather gear!!!!! no brainer
On the push bike front you do not have to spend out on a fancy bike. I got a 2nd hand large frame push bike in good nick for £20. Added lights, guards and a quick release frame and bag. Use it when we are away on hols or weekends mostly. But if I was only a few miles from work I'd cycle most days.

Sadly its a 42 mile round trip so I motorbike or use Van as a daily ride.

T:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for your thoughts and comments, I am a cyclist and have road and mountain bikes, I do cycle to work when I can but it's not always practical for me regarding time issues, carrying kit, no shower facilties in work. Passed my driving test before 2001 so don't need to do the CBT if I get a 50cc, I'm not that into motorbikes so don't really care what it looks like and I don't want to spend much money on it.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts