VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my VW-loving-comrades in the UK, lend me your ears.......

We are heading to Scotland at the beginning of May in our T5 and would appreciate some advice. Now, I have been there in the past but it has been quite a few years ago and on two wheels. Back then, I visited the Isle of Aran, Oban, Fort William, Ben Nevis, Isle of Skye, Loch Ness, Inverness and Glencoe.
We may take in these places again but we would also like to visit Edinburgh for a night or two, John O'Groats (just for the hell of it) and possibly the Shetland Islands amongst others.
So what are tbe other sites or locations that we shouldn't miss ? Any specific islands recommended ?
Time won't be an issue so we can spend as long there as needs be before we head down England's east coast towards Kent.
Am I correct in thinking that wild camping is okay in Scotland ? If so, are there any highly recommended wild camping spots that should try ?
I have been hearing about the NC500 on this forum. Is this a route that we should be considering ?
On our route northwards, we are thinking of visiting the Lake/Peak Districts. Have any of you info on this region ??

Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We absolutely love Scotland and go every year. For us West is Best (but just our preference). Wild camping is fine if you do it respectfully and leave nothing behind. I can especially recommend North Uist and Bernaray, there are some fantastic beaches and camp spots in the dunes. Get the ferry to Harris there's an amazing beach at Horgabost and another out west at Hushinish. Fiddens Farm at the SW tip of Mull and Calgary bay are pretty special too. I could go on, there is so so much. PS don't tell everyone though. 'Take The Slow Road' by Martin Dorey is a great reference.
IMG_1277.JPG

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is excellent information guys. Thanks so much ! And those are all new areas to me which is even better. Nice weather might be a bit much to ask for but one can always wish :p
Here in Ireland the west coast is also the most scenic I would say, just like Scotland. Well, more rugged certainly than its eastern counterpart.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
West coast of Ireland is possibly on the cards this year with the Lads fishing. Would love to see some photos of the area if you have some.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
West coast of Ireland is possibly on the cards this year with the Lads fishing. Would love to see some photos of the area if you have some.
If you want any info then I'd be glad to assist. I'll see what photos I have and post them up. Western Ireland I would say is similar to Scotland albeit on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey JC,

I didn't forget the photos so here's some that I dug out just now....(apologies for the delay !)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts