VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for an update on the legislation i've read about regarding testing and MOT passes of rear seat/beds in conversions. I can't find anything 2013 related so thought i'd start a thread and see what the deal is, as most info i can find on the forum is 12 months or so old, and is purely speculation from what i can tell.

I'm particularly interested in if it will affect me as the owner of a DIY conversion registered as a motor caravan. I'm waiting to put a RIB into my van, and will fit it myself with a self fabricated fitting frame under the van.

The bed is crazy expensive as it is, and i don't want to fork out the extra for a fitting frame etc when i can make one myself for free. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this.

Is this going to pass an MOT? If not why, and what will i need for a pass?

CheersT:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so...are you saying i can't carry any passengers (RIB Altair has belts) in 2013 unless my seat/bed is installed EXACTLY as it was in a certified crash/pull test, and i have a certificate?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
or...don't worry about it and make sure it's down in 'bed' position when going for an MOT!
I'm not worried about safety - just the law, so this seems like a resonable way forward?
Anyone else got any comments?

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Mine has gone through MOT no trouble..always leave as a bed, have safe seat belts, but some testers interpret things differently than others:confused:

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
So the threads about 'official legislation' regarding this are wide of the mark?

Perhaps it only applies to 'newly registered' vehicles? and most of us DIYers are safe?A:
it is more to do with the rules for carrying pasengers and to the MOT. if you are carring passengers on forward facing seats then they have to have approved seat belts.

then rules in Europe are a bit different. If your van says it has 7 seats then they will test all 7 seats. if they are not there to test it will fail. (been there done that) while in the UK it is a bit different. they test as presented.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok...so my RIB bed comes with certified seatbelts, therefore i can carry passengers without breaking any laws?

This still doesn't clear up the murky water about the fixings of the bed/seat to the van. Is there any legislation regarding this or is it purely for self reassurance having a pull tested bed/seat?

It's getting clearer!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah....thats my point...it's very grey! Seems like it's the topic that should be the clearest though as peoples lives are depending on it in a crash.

There must be some difinitive legislation somewhere that governs the fitting of aftermarket seating (seating to vehicle).

I'm just nervous dropping £2k on a RIB and not knowing what is legal and what isn't

Thanks for your contribution to the thread though. There must be installers or manufacturers who can provide something solid for us to all follow though?

·
Registered
286 Posts
The MOT tester will look at how the seat / bed is fitted through the floor and make his own decision as to its safe fitting,
just bolted through the floor will FAIL.
Present as a bed, no probs
present as a seat, inspectors nightmare, one of those new grey areas
lots of head scratching
Pass / fail, pot luck.
And it will only get worse.
ask ya brother to MOT it. LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The only way the mot tester on the day can test a rear to seat is to
Test security ( seat fixings ) this will be done visually at fixing points and movements by hand there is no mechanism at an mot station to test whether pull/crash tested so if you can't move it neither can they
Test belts correct mounting points no corrosion and belts retract and work correctly
Test safety visual check to ensure no sharp edges obvious things that will cause injury
There is a little grey area which all mot testers will differ and that is if they want to see a certificate for seat/fitting
In my opinion I would produce as a bed and carry passengers if you are happy with the fitting yourself

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I can't help but wonder at the thinking behind fitting a two grand bed seat yourself.not that I think it's wrong to make your own mounts or that you wouldn't do it well but your insurers dont know.a proper installer will be able to provide a certificate for insurance purposes.this has gotta be a worth having surely.I know vanworx who are rib installers go to town on fitting these beds.there is bracing under the van and I think a substantial subframe that the bed on in the van.
It's not just a couple of bolts.I know what I'd rather have and for a few hundred quid........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts