VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone know about the legality of changing the rear seating in a van. For example changing a kombi's second row of seats to a rock n roll bed or to the third row three seater of a people minibus. As the seats will therefor be sitting further back in the van, does it mean it is necessary to have windows in the far rear panels? I know there are many vans with conversions, and many only have windows in the the sliding door and the opposite panel.

I'm living out in Spain and the rules appear to be super strict here. Everything must be certified by VW officially or the ITV (MOT) center wont pass it.

What's the deal in the UK. Does the seat conversion need to be certified/tested officially? How do you get around the fact there are no windows for the seats?

Do folks have to remove their conversions for the MOT?

I can't find information about this in the UK or in Spain where I am. Obviously it's going to be different, but it would be good to find out anyway.

Thanks for any replies in advance, Corin

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that and the super quick reply. Some interesting reading there. So much to read. Still not clued up as to whether having seats in the 3rd row, in half paneled vans (Kombi), has legal issues due to the lack of the rear windows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts