VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, sorry for such a long post as a newbie first post but thought it was important I warned others. The chap doing the work on my newly bought old panel van sourced some seats for me with swivel bases attached, seats weren't anything special but would do the job and I happily bought them :) They were 3 hours away so decided to courier them through a parcel company who act as a middle man for the big couriers. All went well and they were collected, tracked to depo and on way to their destination when it went quiet and they didn't arrive. I messaged the company (no phone lines :confused: ) and after much thumping on keyboard as messages got more and more frustrating over several days I was told they were 'damaged'. I told them to carry on and deliver to destination. A week passed, still no seats. Then 'Returned to depo' came up on tracking :confused: Messaged them again and after hours with no-one knowing where they were and blame being passed back and forth I was told they couldn't find them! :eek: Weeks went by with many frustrating useless messages getting nowhere and eventually I had a phone call from a manager to say they were definitely lost and I could put in a claim (thank goodness I had taken their insurance out). Yes you guessed it, many weeks passed with no word on the claim until I gave them one final message which said.... 'if you don't deal with this claim in the next 24 hours I will contact the police as my seats have obviously been stolen'.... Lo and behold they settled my claim the next day for how much I paid for seats and cost of postage! You're guess is as good as mine as to what happened to them. What upset me the most was that I am on a really tight budget, this has been my lifelong dream (somesay mid life crisis!) for myself and my teenage daughter and I had saved for years to buy this van and sold personal items to fund the conversion, so it hurt all the more. What a complete nightmare! Anyway I started again and it now has old Saab seats on T4 swivels T: Oh and both the seats and swivel bases I drove and collected LOL: Lesson learnt, just thought I'd post this for others to be aware :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Name and shame the courier company bud
Hope you have better luck with the rest of your conversions and hope we all enjoy some sunny summer camping T:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Well I wasn't sure if I was allowed to name names but if you insist! :D I used xxxxxxx as the middle company and they used Hermes. Both kept bouncing the blame back and forth, useless!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Well I wasn't sure if I was allowed to name names but if you insist! :D I used Parcels 2 Go as the middle company and they used Hermes. Both kept bouncing the blame back and forth, useless!
Hermes are a bunch of **nts,, they delivered something to me once tracked as well,no parcel anywhere,they said the driver left it in the porch but I don't have one,then they said it was put over the garden gate,don't have a gate either,I:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
That first post hurt my eyes, learn some punctuation and grammatical structure ffs!

All such firms are dodgy, always insure full value and be prepared for a long process or argument and they make it virtually impossible to communicate.

Then they use monkeys working for peanuts that arent checked or vetted who then make it impossi good owner drivers to survive, theyre using cars or unsuitable vehicles and lying to their insurers.

We have a local hermes outfit in the same industrial yard as us. No signs though youd never know its there. One guy has a tyre pump running the whole time, and has done for weeks, another has a beat up old golf with no exhaust as it fell off weeks ago, and a broken quarter light, as in no glass. Some of the vehicles arenrt roadworthy at all.

They tear through like idiots in a 10mph restriction, and every day they get in the way of other businesses access. I wound one guy loading in front of our warehouse door when i had an urgent job on, and got attitude but trust me that stopped fast and he did move!

They all have stuff on the ground even in this weather and load to the roof in unsuitable cars, including the front passenger seat!

But, you lot cant complain either, you would moan if you had to pay real owner drivers costs, but your need for cheap postage put most of the good drivers out of work long ago, and greedy courier firms were empowered by you, so it suits them to make good profits, employ monkeys for peanuts and then blame the drivers for their deliberate business practices.

You want it to change? Pay more for real courier drivers, not "lifestyle courier" monkeys.

·
Registered
513 Posts
classic mindriot post,keep it up mate,your forthright approach to life is refreshing.

(punctuation double checked)Rasp:

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I’ve never had any issues with parcels 2 go or Hermes. I have with Yodel. Once saw a driver kicking a parcel down the street then tried to deliver to my mum. It was a bouquet of flowers from a friend! Told the driver that I would be reporting him, he couldn’t care less and neither could Yodel. As for comments about owner drivers, we don’t set their terms and conditions, I assume that is between company and driver. Paying more won’t change that, it’ll just make the courier more. I’ll guarantee it won’t be passed on to the drivers. That’s how things are these days.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
classic mindriot post,keep it up mate,your forthright approach to life is refreshing.

(punctuation double checked)Rasp:
lol, I worked as a self employed courier for a good while, had to quit in the end after a lot of stress and financial risk because nobody wants to pay the proper money, and I was in discussion with many self employed in the industry, many of them had decent hard won livlihoods ruined. Almost all thats left are the dregs who risk little and fuel the race to the bottom. The last straw was when I tried working for one of the Amazon agencies.

I disagree with the idea that the firms would still profit at the expense of drivers, if the monkeys were stopped the firms would have to pay more for respectable professionals. Id love to see the authorities regularly busting all these operations with spot checks and full inspections of all vehicles, scrutiny for all the right insurances and tighten the legislation to stop the use of cars, and make it the drivers responsibility to provide all insurances.

It costs in the region of £1000 - £3000 a year for all the proper insurance etc and theyre only available if you have a van designated as a commercial vehicle. So what do you think the car jockeys do? Nothing, they dont tell their own insurers, and they operate on third party temporary cover supplied by the courier for a cost and theyre paid pennies for their deliveries, so you tell me, how many of them are legit they couldnt possibly afford the right costs. Frankly I'd like to see the law stop the use of any non commercial vehicle for courier and haulage, and illegal for the use of ANY car.

People come on the courier forums, the forums that matter, asking for advice how to start up, the resounding advice is DONT theres no livlihood in it anymore.

Im usually using the phone to view and post it tends to make a mess of spelling and grammar but sometimes I just cant be bothered proof reading everything, and I wont pay a forum membership just for the privilege to edit. However I try to make an effort to make it readable!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Well I wasn't sure if I was allowed to name names but if you insist! :D I used Parcels 2 Go as the middle company and they used Hermes. Both kept bouncing the blame back and forth, useless!
lol, I worked as a self employed courier for a good while, had to quit in the end after a lot of stress and financial risk because nobody wants to pay the proper money, and I was in discussion with many self employed in the industry, many of them had decent hard won livlihoods ruined. Almost all thats left are the dregs who risk little and fuel the race to the bottom. The last straw was when I tried working for one of the Amazon agencies.

I disagree with the idea that the firms would still profit at the expense of drivers, if the monkeys were stopped the firms would have to pay more for respectable professionals. Id love to see the authorities regularly busting all these operations with spot checks and full inspections of all vehicles, scrutiny for all the right insurances and tighten the legislation to stop the use of cars, and make it the drivers responsibility to provide all insurances.

It costs in the region of £1000 - £3000 a year for all the proper insurance etc and theyre only available if you have a van designated as a commercial vehicle. So what do you think the car jockeys do? Nothing, they dont tell their own insurers, and they operate on third party temporary cover supplied by the courier for a cost and theyre paid pennies for their deliveries, so you tell me, how many of them are legit they couldnt possibly afford the right costs. Frankly I'd like to see the law stop the use of any non commercial vehicle for courier and haulage, and illegal for the use of ANY car.

People come on the courier forums, the forums that matter, asking for advice how to start up, the resounding advice is DONT theres no livlihood in it anymore.

Im usually using the phone to view and post it tends to make a mess of spelling and grammar but sometimes I just cant be bothered proof reading everything, and I wont pay a forum membership just for the privilege to edit. However I try to make an effort to make it readable!
Most round here are Eastern European's but a lot of people won't want to hear about them being the reason the rates are for that kinda work now I:

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
‘ learn some punctuation and grammatical structure ffs!’

Wow nice reply, thanks Mindriot. Shame my daughter had to read that, as I mentioned this is ‘our’ van and she thought it would be a good idea to share awareness of our situation on here so was looking at the posts.

Unfortunately your unnecessary comment only then served to dilute your opinion on the courier system as a whole.

I didn’t expect to have to be defensive on what I thought was a friendly forum I had joined at the start of our first T5 adventure but feel I just ought to tackle a couple of your comments Mindriot...

‘but your need for cheap postage ‘ ....You don’t know how much I paid. You possibly assume I used the cheapest which is incorrect. Regardless of cost, I paid for a service to get a package from A to B. My post was a) mainly to highlight awareness of the poor contact and frustrating after sales service these companies have when things go wrong, b) to advise taking insurance out and c) to persevere with a claim.

‘ learn some punctuation and grammatical structure ffs!’ ....Well, it would have been held in marginally higher esteem without the swearing and more surprisingly if your post wasn’t full of punctuation errors itself! Oh and now I know that by pressing return when typing the post it won’t mistakenly send it, I will be sure to add a few paragraphs. I’m sure that will help to get my point across!

Hey while I'm snowed in and can’t get on with the van, shall we play a game of who can write a post with the most missing apostrophes? Here’s 3 sentences from yours Mindriot to get you all started Rasp: LOL:

‘working for peanuts that arent checked or vetted who then make it impossi good owner drivers to survive, theyre using cars’
‘No signs though youd never know its there’.
‘Ive been looking on ebay, must have reported 20 - 30 vans by now, and a few on autotrader. I dont even own one yet but Im becoming comfortable with spotting scams, its my duty really as ebay isnt good at dealing with scum and Id hate it to happen to me if someone else saw one and didnt do something.’

To everyone else who has replied in a friendly and respectable way, thank you :)

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
‘ learn some punctuation and grammatical structure ffs!’

Wow nice reply, thanks Mindriot. Shame my daughter had to read that, as I mentioned this is ‘our’ van and she thought it would be a good idea to share awareness of our situation on here so was looking at the posts.

Unfortunately your unnecessary comment only then served to dilute your opinion on the courier system as a whole.

I didn’t expect to have to be defensive on what I thought was a friendly forum I had joined at the start of our first T5 adventure but feel I just ought to tackle a couple of your comments Mindriot...

‘but your need for cheap postage ‘ ....You don’t know how much I paid. You possibly assume I used the cheapest which is incorrect. Regardless of cost, I paid for a service to get a package from A to B. My post was a) mainly to highlight awareness of the poor contact and frustrating after sales service these companies have when things go wrong, b) to advise taking insurance out and c) to persevere with a claim.

‘ learn some punctuation and grammatical structure ffs!’ ....Well, it would have been held in marginally higher esteem without the swearing and more surprisingly if your post wasn’t full of punctuation errors itself! Oh and now I know that by pressing return when typing the post it won’t mistakenly send it, I will be sure to add a few paragraphs. I’m sure that will help to get my point across!

Hey while I'm snowed in and can’t get on with the van, shall we play a game of who can write a post with the most missing apostrophes? Here’s 3 sentences from yours Mindriot to get you all started Rasp: LOL:

‘working for peanuts that arent checked or vetted who then make it impossi good owner drivers to survive, theyre using cars’
‘No signs though youd never know its there’.
‘Ive been looking on ebay, must have reported 20 - 30 vans by now, and a few on autotrader. I dont even own one yet but Im becoming comfortable with spotting scams, its my duty really as ebay isnt good at dealing with scum and Id hate it to happen to me if someone else saw one and didnt do something.’

To everyone else who has replied in a friendly and respectable way, thank you :)
Where did I say I write perfectly grumpy. Generally youre posting on the basis its your account so it should be you, theres often rules about that sort of thing, and us forum users tend to assume the poster is the account holder, maybe I missed where it says its not you in that brick of text.

I made no assumptions, and what I wrote was generalism where did I make specific references to YOUR failings, I dont care how much you paid and by your own protestations you should know that doesnt matter, and frankly I do know a lot more about the business but that aside your warnings are simply relating to things anyone with common sense knows about these firms.

If youre using Hermes, youre doing it on the cheap, end of.

So good luck with your napoleon complex and your apparent need to attack me lol, you didnt spend long reading if thats all you came up with, and youve mistaken me for someone who cares what you think if youre going to behave like that.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
But, you lot cant complain either, you would moan if you had to pay real owner drivers costs, but your need for cheap postage put most of the good drivers out of work long ago, and greedy courier firms were empowered by you,
You do sometimes come across as attacking your fellow forum users, Mindriot. How the courier companies treat their drivers is not something that most customers can do anything about.

It is the big companies that drive down the prices, the same as supermarkets with farmers etc. etc.

I don't believe that anyone should be expected to work for nothing and I certainly don't think that the OP did either.

At the end of the day if you enter a contract for a service, you expect to get that service. Maybe more regulation is required in the industry, but that's something to take up with the powers that be.

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts
Jeez! This is a forum not a grammar lesson. My spellingz ain’t that good but I read the 1st post and it neffer bothered mwoh 1 littl5
Bitt!

Vw hippy bus peeple r suposed 2 b chilled out bro!

No one was hurt in the development of this post and no harm intended.
All grammar was intentionally mispronounced in the urine extraction intended.
Peace:ILU:

·
Registered
97 Posts
F*ck me, and I thought the Spurs forum was angry (even though we're winning), chill out guys, I come here for uplifting VW chat not arguments.:ILU:

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
You do sometimes come across as attacking your fellow forum users, Mindriot. How the courier companies treat their drivers is not something that most customers can do anything about.

It is the big companies that drive down the prices, the same as supermarkets with farmers etc. etc.

I don't believe that anyone should be expected to work for nothing and I certainly don't think that the OP did either.

At the end of the day if you enter a contract for a service, you expect to get that service. Maybe more regulation is required in the industry, but that's something to take up with the powers that be.
Sometimes I do challenge peoples sensibilities, usually by accident, occasionally its deliberate. Its an aside to what I do the most of time which is helping people when I can just like most people here do.

I wasnt attacking the OP directly and I cant be expected to consider all the possible sensetivities or sensibilities, no one can, or nobody would get anything posted at all. Im just being offhand, in another post I might even try to help them, theres no malice involved, I just dont care about creeping around delicate issues.

If you feel offended or wounded by what people say in response to what you do, youve got to ask yourself why that is, and what youre saying to people by expressing your reaction.

Nobody likes the way these firms operate, or the vast amount of theft and loss through incompetence and lack of vetting, but you get what you pay for, and in this day and age its common knowledge how risky using these firms services are.

The firm I work for sends many items with some outfits, we dont get any say who gets used and its amazing how packages seem to disappear for days and turn up with no explanation a week late (usually because they take a tour of depots when they take a trip on the wrong truck in the wrong direction), or grouped shipments to the same destination end up at 3 different locations spread across the country, or arrive pre opened, or half destroyed, or are never seen again. And were talking a variety of items that have no value or purpose that could be of any conceivable use to a thief, yet sometimes theyre still inexplicably "lost", sometimes thats down to drivers or firms dumping damaged items, which is far too common an occurrence.

BUT its all common knowledge, and if you send anything, you need insurance, and even then it takes a fight to get paid, so were not exactly covering new ground here are we lol, we all know it. And besides, its not often youll hear about the grassroots feeling from the better elements in the courier business, so arent you lucky to have received those nuggets before the last of the elite are gone, which is very soon if not already. LOL:

I agree with builder jay, if you dont like whats posted calm down and sort yourself out :)

You would think someone would appreciate being told their brick of text is a TLDR post that wont solicit much response. :*

1 - 20 of 47 Posts