VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum and after a bit of advise please. I am looking to buy a newish T32 Kombi as my main family vehicle, but bought through my business to get the tax benefits. I have looked at the new T32 5.1 Kombi 2.0ltr in the local show room, but have also found a high spec, low mileage, 09 plate T32 5 Kombi with a 2.4 130bhp engine advertised privately at £19,000.
Two questions, firstly is the newer engine the safer bet? And secondly is the second hand option overpriced? It does come with loads of extras. Your opinions would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I was looking for a late secondhand t32 kombi but the prices are high and don't warrant the saving over new, I would of prefered the 2.5 really but I have ordered new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Mike

I would suggest buying new if it's through your business. I'm just looking to do the same and with the Tax breaks and versatility it really makes sense. Second hand Kombi's are holding their value quite well and if you take into account the savings you make on Tax say over 3 years this offsets the depreciation quite nicely. I've got a 130 2007 that has been great and only looking to change for a new one to take advantage of the benifits through my company. The weird thing I'm finding is that Used dealer prices are higher than buying from new once you factor in the 10-12% discount available. I've been watching a few ex demo stock over the past couple of months that are gradually falling to a more reasonable price but still don't outweigh buying new. A couple of dealers would only knock off £250 on a 25-27K used kombi telling me that they are like rocking horse **** but still have them to this day! I can't say buying new is for everyone but it does work for a VAT registered company. Good luck, keep posted.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think it depends upon what you can afford and what kind of spec you are after.

I just bought a relatively high spec '10 plate as it was significantly cheaper than a new van - I think I saved nearly £7k over new. New vans are bog basic and options are bloomin' expensive. Only plus to new is you get to choose your options.

VAT recovery is the same - regardless of age.

As for tax reclaimation it depends upon your individual circumstance, business owner v's company car driver etc etc

I'm happy for the dealers to keep prices high, as it helps all of our residuals.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Personally, & provided you are comparing "apples with apples" I would think that once a used vehicle's price approaches 75% of the cost of a new one then, unless your funds will not streatch it's got to be a new one.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I never buy new and I always buy 2-3 years old every time. Mainly cos i don't do loans.

I buy cos I can afford a 2-3 year old one. No go loading your self up with finance if you can help it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I would buy new. Especially in the world of vans as you dont know how hard a life they have had previous to your ownership. Mines a 56 plate and as much as I love it theres loads of stuff that need some TLC. If funds allow it get new.

Dun

·
Registered
270 Posts
I looked for a used "right spec" kombi for about 6 months, in the end to get what wanted, buying new was a no brainer. We are VAT reg business so it just makes sense. Also running a kombi is much cheaper than a company car on the personal taxation.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Just as an idea, I could supply a 10 plate (facelift) bespoke built Kombi with 30k miles for £17k +vat.

Or as another idea, and as a mark, I have a 55 plate metallic black LWB Kombi 2.5 130 with new 5.1 seats front and back, 80k, done up to a high spec for around £12k. This one's a bit of a looker so that may not be what you are after but the 10 plate could be built to your spec.

Whatver you go for, good luck, if you need any advice just shout, James.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I would speak to an accountant
Depends very much on how much profit you company has made for year

If you buy for cash/HP/Bank Loan etc you can take it all as a Capital Allowance and loose 100% of the profit you have made for the 2011/April 2012 tax year i.e 20K against tax for example reducing corporation tax or self assessment

If on other hand more moderate profits for year you want to put down say 2K now and defer as payments over next few years to leave your capital allowance intact for next year as its reducing a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your feed back so far. I have just been down the local dealership again today and got a quote for a new 140bhp Kombi with all the options that I want rather than those which come on the second hand model I was considering. Quite an eye opener it was too, £450 for a sun roof, ouch! I have come to the conclusion that a new one makes more sense now as your comments have suggested, especially in the light of all the tax benefits. Maybe I'll miss out on some of those options (we are not likely to see much sun in Yorkshire now until at least May next year!) Only slight downside is the 2 month lead time.
I have never bought new before and wonder if its worth playing a few dealers off each other to get the best price?

·
Registered
67 Posts
mike i have just ordered a new 140 kombi, tryed to do as much research as possible before ordering and you masses of good advce of here, but i was going to justorder a panel van then do everything none dealer, but opted for half and half.

waighed up the tax options as well. so gone for the air cone etc factory fit then when deliverd sending away for colour coding etc i found woud be done cheaper and with the look i wanted.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Thanks for your feed back so far. I have just been down the local dealership again today and got a quote for a new 140bhp Kombi with all the options that I want rather than those which come on the second hand model I was considering. Quite an eye opener it was too, £450 for a sun roof, ouch! I have come to the conclusion that a new one makes more sense now as your comments have suggested, especially in the light of all the tax benefits. Maybe I'll miss out on some of those options (we are not likely to see much sun in Yorkshire now until at least May next year!) Only slight downside is the 2 month lead time.
I have never bought new before and wonder if its worth playing a few dealers off each other to get the best price?
Defo, If they won't give you anymore discount at another dealer try and get some freebies, I did and got monster mats, waterproof seatcovers, locking wheel nuts and bumper protector thrown in, just keep pushing!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Don't they have stock then?
Weird.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts