VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Firstly, I hope I'm posting in the right area for this topic. If not, please do advise, thanks :)

I'm a newbie here and I'm seeking the benefit of this huge forums advice. I currently haven't purchased a T4/T5 van. I'm torn between all the decisions to be made! For example, do I buy a base van and self build or buy a ready converted used camper van? Do I go high top or pop top? What layout do I chose? And on, and on and on..! Lots of decisions to be made but I'm finding the research great fun! So, in order to help you help me I guess I should explain or describe how I intend to use the camper.

Because I own my own business I have the benefit of changing how I work. Over the last year or so I have changed my working week and now work 3.5 to 4 days per week allowing me the flexibility to take long weekends. Now that I've created the habit of having long weekends I want to use them to do some touring. I am based in Edinburgh, Scotland and initially plan to tour the Scottish Highlands and Islands, both winter and summer. I also plan to take long weekend trips to England, Wales & Ireland. When I've completed that I intend to take slightly longer trips around Europe. So, plenty of touring, driving & sightseeing to keep me busy for the next few years!

During these trips I'm quite happy to use camping sites but also intend to do some wild camping where possible. I'll predominantly be travelling by myself, though, on occasions there will be folk joining me for various parts of the planned trips, so, will need to be able to accommodate two sleeping.

I've also recently gotten hooked on mountain biking (I'm no pro, have just tried a few times and want to do much more!). So a bike rack is a deffo. Also solar power is something I'm interested in. Do any of you use those Honda silent generators? Would be interested in hearing folks views on them (or similar makes) for wild camping if I run low on battery power.

Things that I have definitely decided on include; a LWB T4/5 for that extra little bit of space and really good insulation because I plan to take trips in the winter too. Because of the mountain biking I also would like a shower/toilet. And it is on that last point that I am struggling with moving forward. I have never seen, nor can I find on the Internet, a clever internal shower unit shoehorned into a pop top camper van. I have seen lots of examples of high tops with shower & toilet units.

So, I thought I would turn to this forum because there's bound to be some very clever people here who've come up with some innovative solutions, or, looking for a real challenge! If, with this forums help, I can come with a solution to getting a shower/toilet unit into a pop top camper I will share the design with everyone :)

I do have some thoughts. I have seen an American designed trailer tent with a built in shower/toilet. The shower/toilet unit is boxed in up to about waist high and has a hinged top. There appears then to be an attachable shower curtain to keep the water within the cubicle when in use, though, I'm not entirely sure how the shower curtain fixing works. But I think there's something in this that can be further developed. For example, I imagine the shower/toilet cubicle positioned behind the drivers seat because of the maximum height with a front lifting pop top. I imagine the cubicle going from floor to just below pop top with a hinged top and then some kind of attachable rail for the shower curtain. Though, I do appreciate that new challenges arise with the layout of the rest of the furniture and rock n roll bed, storage etc.

So now I guess it's over to you folks. May I thank you in advance for your advice, support, ideas and inspiration!

Many thanks,

Gerry

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi Gerry & welcome to the forum :ILU:

Not sure if I can help you on the whole shower thing :* but if you keep an eye on the Scottish section WOSVWT4/T5 bit you will see whats happening up here. Also there are a few guys out your way that would be more than happy to help you out with things, I know because they have helped me out a good few times! There is a monthly meet happening along with some events & camping weekends.

Stevie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Stevie,

Many thanks forth kind welcome :) I'll check out the WOSVWT4/T5 section too as you've suggested, thanks for the pointer!

Gerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts