VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all a very basic question and a bit embarrasing after swapping from auto to manual gearbox, do I need to push the stick down to select reverse or just move it all the way over to the right then back as if selecting a 6th gear if it were fitted ? All the other gears seem to select nicely after the conversion but reverse is a struggle so wondering if its my technique for selecting reverse..weird I have had a few t4 over the years with the 02g box but I can't remember and I was expecting it to be instinctive but it isn't at the moment !!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Reverse on the 02G box is right & back, no need to push down, is it adjusted correctly, in First there should be 1cm movement remaining to the left

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great stuff thanks, I will look at the adjustment next as its v v difficult to select reverse..all the other gears select nicely !!

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,750 Posts
some 02G boxes have a 'reverse interlock' operated by a cable (from gearstick to gearbox)
do you have the correct linkage to suit the gearbox?)

Rich.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm yes I think so it was all bought together so I'm hoping it is..it does have an interlock cable fitted..I will get under the van while the girlfriend moves the gearstick to see if I can work out what's up !

Any idea how the reverse interlock works and is it adjustable ?

There is definitely play in the rearmost bearing bush support at the back of the selector box under the gearstick ( big black bush with an orange middle bit ) which I have bought to change anyway.

Looks like I have to remove the complete t shaped linkage assembly front to back to get to that though as it runs all the way through to the main shift box under gearstick...and looks tricky to remove the gearbox end fixings there seems to be an awful lot of pipes and knuckle scrape things in the way ! Might as well do all the bushes if I have to remove the whole lot..then look at adjusting it properly with all new components ! Groan

cheers for the input so far !

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right think I know what's going on now...thanks hybrid800 for the tip about the reverse interlock..mine does have one ( 102bhp with 02g gearbox on 52 plate so late model ) which means the stick needs to be pushed down to overcome the interlock to allow it to then pull backwards into gear..which seems to make sense because if you were used to driving a 6 speed car then jumped into the 5 speed t4 you could mistakenly go from 5th to the 6th position and get reverse instead...hence needing to push down to overcome the interlock and prevent that expensive mistake !

So knowing that I think I have worked out the problem...worn rear bearing support bush.. I alluded to this being worn in earlier reply. When I push down on the gearstick the stick moves down mostly because of the wear in the bush therefore not allowing me to push down the stick far enough to overcome the interlock..only a good firm press gives me just enough downward movement to engage reverse.

So replacing the bearing bush will be my next mission !

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,142 Posts
GREAT you have a plan, but I'm a little concerned about this statement :
".I will get under the van while the girlfriend moves my stick to see if I can work out what's up ! " (sic)

Sorry, we all need a little humour whilst sorting the various problems out!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to this job..it was a horrible job but now my gearshift is perfect ! The bearing support bush which is black with an orange bit in the middle was completely worn out. Shame had to remove the whole linkage to get to it though, and the front bits are really hard to get to on my kombi with aircon and rear heater it took ages and many scratches on my forearms and knuckles ! For anyone contemplating this job removing the starter helped with access.
Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts