VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see this weeks Motorway Cops ? The part that interested me was when they stopped the young lad in Brum for no insurance or MoT. All was going as well as possible, the chap even admitted the offences. Then one of the coppers spotted a baseball bat on the back seat. When questioned he eventually said it was for self defence....wrong ! They then arrested him for "carrying an offensive weapon"

Now, I stopover in some very remote, isolated places, and might keep a wooden truncheon in my van, you never know. Should, in the unlikely event, I get stopped and my van searched. How to explain this object...should it exist ?

Asked the same question at work. All the replies would make even a policeman blush ! ;)

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
If you carry a baseball bat in your van make sure you carry a ball aswell. They can't do nowt then. T:

As long as you don't hit them with it that is.:D

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
steering wheel lock . the bar type ones .......... thats if you realy feel the need to put yourself at risk of getting done for manslaughter or ABH ect

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Or the one for hitting the tent pegs in.:D

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
put ya piece of wood on the camp fire mate.
and get a nice heavey steering lock if youre that worried job done.
but use any stupid excuse for why youve got the wood and unless you admit its for whacking people with they cant do you for nowt.

chocking the door, putting behind your wheels if you need to jack the van up, levelling ya van etc etc

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
Unforunatley fellas as a nation, baseball isnt a popular sport, therefore owning/carrying a baseball bay is seen as possessing a weopen in most cases

A few years ago a fella was in bed and his house was broken into, he battered the the intruder with a baseball bat and was presently sent to prison for assault, as he was sentenced the judge commented that had he used perhaps a shovel then he would have received a far more lenient sentence as a shovel is a tool and a baseball bat is nothing more than a weopenT:

Think carefully

Keep a snooker cue instead and make sure the two halves are in a carrier with a duster and a chalk or as suggested a crook lock is ideal if a little unweildly

Make sure you use them for their intended purposes tooI:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
or just take up boxing or karate ...... or better still train for marathons and run like hell , at least then your not putting yourself at risk of having the tool took off you and used against yourself I:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i got a long telescopic wheel brace 17mm one end and 19mm the other depending what mood i was in the unlucky thieving little ++++I: what get one of them jammed into him/her ,cops can say nowt about that, a very good mate of mine who is a copper once told me anyone breaks into your house any item of household equipment can be used as self defence take that as you wish ,but don't use a pillow :D that won't cause much pain

·
Registered
613 Posts
Having anything like a truncheon is just asking for trouble. What if you were to use it "in self defence" and the recipient needed medical attention. You've effectively gone about prepared for trouble with a weapon, claiming self defence after the fact probably wont wash.

If they hit you first and you picked up a rock when on the ground...

Of course, this is the pot talking here, I have a 4 cell maglite in my van - a tool for all eventualities. Even has a glass breaking tailcap if I can't use my doors in an accident.

But what would worry me most is if they got hold of my flashlight / lump of wood / rock / whatever.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I am a joiner so i keep a 20" woodsaw behind the seat its brand new still in the card cover can't see the rozzers saying i am carrying a weapon

·
Registered
515 Posts
or just take up boxing or karate ...... or better still train for marathons and run like hell , at least then your not putting yourself at risk of having the tool took off you and used against yourself I:
its a very good point. Often a weapon can be more of a distraction or hinderance, or even a threat to yourself. Throw the weapon away and while he's distracted kick him in the balls, or run away.
Some sort of sporting impiment could be used as a threat, a cricket bat, or a golf club would do fine. The bloke who lives upstairs used a combination of the two to batter his wife-beating son-in-law to death in front of my house a couple of years ago, so i can vouch for the lethality of either. Its actually quite a nice neighbourhood for East London. bx

·
Registered
375 Posts
Saying its for self defence was the problem. Similar to people getting nicked for "going equipped" (can't think of the correct term).

A 15 year old lad out at night carrying a wheel brace and iron bar (trolley jack handle) at 10 at night could be nicked for going equipped to burgle where as a 35 year old guy could carry a wheel brace and the handle of his trolley jack could be walking to change his Mrs wheel.

It's not all about what you have it's why you have it...always have a reason....not an excuse T:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
I carry loads of tools in my van including crowbars, 2' torque wrench, 2' adjustables. In my overall top pocket I have a 3 3/4" knife, stanley knife, various screwdrivers and in the last 25 years I have never been questioned once by a policeman and I have also worked in loads of police stations.

Anything can be an offensive weapon and as long as you have a justifiable reason for carrying it they will not do anything.

P.S. The reason my knife is 3 3/4" long is apparantly Snickers had to have them made specifically for the UK as the standard Euro one is 4" and not legal for the UK- as if 1/4" would make much difference if you stabbed someone:*

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
On the flip side I saw a bloke to who carried his baseball bat in his van get in a fight last summer.

He was getting a pounding so he ran to the van to get his bat, which was swiftly disarmed from him, and used against him. A skull sounds just like baseball, apart from the baseball doesn't bleed profusely and go to hospital.

No one needs a weapon in their van, what is the bets that can happen? You get arrested for position of a weapon, get arrest for using a weapon, or get hit with the weapon you brought to the fight.

Moral of thee story: Don't fight, and if you do fight, don't use weapons. If you are in a place or mind state you think you need a weapon. Move away from the place and find someone to talk to about your state of mind.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
I always carry a Rustyhook & relish the chance 2 use it I: Be gone with you you dirty little scoundrel :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts