VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a really bad idea? I bought my professionally converted, one owner from new, 2012 T5 in August and I absolutely adore her. But I'm now expecting a baby which means we're having to move house, and that means we need to cut our loan commitments to satisfy the mortgage company... And that means we're considering selling the van :blg We'd need to sell her at close to what we paid in order to clear the loan but we'd also need a pretty quick sale if it's to make any difference to our house move. Has anyone here sold a van in January/had a quick sale for a fair price over winter, or should I rule out the idea completely? She's a great van, we've had her remapped and she's only got 48k on the clock, very nice condition, new bebb bed with double isofix points and a pop top, double passenger swivel, FSH etc. I'd like to think that she'd go quickly but I just don't know what the demand is like at this time of year.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
FWIW we sold ours in just 24 hours for £1K under the asking price on Gumtree last October.

For sure winter isn't the best unless you have no choice but if you can hang on until Easter you might do OK.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,059 Posts
It depends on too many factor for an easy answer, but there is no way that I would try to sell a camper van at this time of year. Last one I sold I had the bodywork fixed in late Autumn and held onto it through the winter, then sold in late April.

If you bought at a good price privately in August you may not lose too much. If you bought from a dealer you'll struggle to get anywhere near your money back, I would think.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's really quick! Thanks - this gives me a bit of hope :) I might get all the info/pics together tonight to see what interest there is. I'd love to be in a position to hang on until Spring but the house sale is already in progress so if it's going to make a difference we'd need to do it now really.

There is also a possibility that we'll have to increase my son's nursery attendance soon(ish) and that is really expensive, so if we don't sell her to help with the house purchase we may hold on for a couple of months and then have to consider it again.

Ugh, I really hate to think about letting her go, especially as we've only had a few months out of her. :GL

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on too many factor for an easy answer, but there is no way that I would try to sell a camper van at this time of year. Last one I sold I had the bodywork fixed in late Autumn and held onto it through the winter, then sold in late April.

If you bought at a good price privately in August you may not lose too much. If you bought from a dealer you'll struggle to get anywhere near your money back, I would think.
Thanks Triffic. You're right, it's not an easy one to answer. I think the only way to know whether it's going to be worth it or not is to actually advertise her, and then see what interest we get. It's likely to take a lot of time that I don't really have at the moment, but if we can sell her quickly at the right price it'd be worth it so I think I'll just need to take a gamble. Worst case is she doesn't sell, and I guess that's not all bad because at least I get to keep her a while longer!

·
Special Rapporteur
10,059 Posts
As above, it's very heavily dependent on what you paid. If it's all done via dealers, they will want to take maybe £5k to turn a van of that sort of age round, so you can expect to lose at least that much, I would expect. If you bought privately and you didn't pay a Summer premium, you should be in a much better position.

The problem with putting it up for sale at the price that you need is that you will ~probably~ get an awful lot of timewasters who either just want to look at vans, or want to get to the end of the viewing and then make a silly offer...

·
Registered
76 Posts
As above, it's very heavily dependent on what you paid. If it's all done via dealers, they will want to take maybe £5k to turn a van of that sort of age round, so you can expect to lose at least that much, I would expect. If you bought privately and you didn't pay a Summer premium, you should be in a much better position.

The problem with putting it up for sale at the price that you need is that you will ~probably~ get an awful lot of timewasters who either just want to look at vans, or want to get to the end of the viewing and then make a silly offer...
Good point mate, I bought a beautiful caravelle for 19k in July for a month long trip round France, and had intentions of keeping it but came back to some bonus cuts amongst other things with work so now I'm going to reluctantly put it up for sale for 15-16k. I won't be taking offers at that price though!!

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Congratulations, a baby, how wonderful. My wife and I had three and now we look back and think how life would have been much more simple/safe if we had of had our T5 when the kids were young.
But now we are blessed with three granddaughters, we own our own house, so less bills, PLUS, we have a T5 which is a blessing when you have kids.
Going to the beach====shopping=====-sticking the pram in the back without collapsing-=== baby cots moved from one house to the next==== easy to spot in the car park====the lists goes on and on and on of how simple life is when you own a T5.

But I understand money is very hard to come by when your young, sods law really. But you might want to think hard about car or van both cost money, for me it's the van, in a heart beat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good post Mike, the vans are so flexible and if I could, I'd choose the van over the car simply for the space but for the moment it's cheaper to run the car and a little easier for the wife to drive. Definitely getting another when funds allow though. Lived in our caravelle for a month and it was ace!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You mention to clear the loan so I would think you would have problems selling it privately with outstanding finance owing on the campervan.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Congratulations on your baby xx.

From experience of buying a van/campervan during the winter don't even worry about it. I sat down in October waiting for the deals to arrive on ebay etc. They never arrived and all sold very very quickly. Bought one the following March.

Dont rush

Take your time

Put the price you want on ebay auto Trader + the fastest one I saw sold was on Facebook, sold before I could get my mate on the phone!

Always remember when you have your family you can but a T8 lol x

·
Registered
2011 Kombi Camper conv. T5.1 140
487 Posts
Loads of peeps look for t5s through the winter.. we did. It's a learning thing???. I think a good T5 well specced will always sell. If you are in a hurry to sell you may have to take a hit. That's life. But if you get the van out there early enough with the details and pics you may find it's just what someone wants. It always takes longer than you think to sell. Good luck ? I'm sure you'll do the right thingT:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I sold my Caravelle Exec through eBay at the end of last year for the full asking price. Within a day of advertising it I had well over 500 listing views, 55 watchers and a hand full of firm offers from people prepared to travel! ...From the level of interest I guess I could possibly have asked more, but I priced it at the high end and got what I wanted.

It was my 3rd transporter and experience has taught me that a really good example is always in high demand and will sell very swiftly. The key to success is undoubtedly a really detailed ad flooded with high quality pictures for which eBay is ideal! (if you know anyone who can do html, there is no reason why your ad can't look like a magazine feature and really grab attention!) Time and care invested will really pay off. Once the ad is running, always respond to all enquiries honestly, comprehensively and swiftly! I usually list vehicles as a fixed price 'Classified Ad' (rather than an auction listing) and pitch at the high end of similar spec vehicles available at the time.

Be confident - if you only quite recently bought it and paid a realistic price there is no reason why you won't get your money back, particularly if it's a really good example and you can make it stand out from the crowd! T:

Wishing you every success! :ILU:

·
Registered
365 Posts
That was me on Facebook, ha. I made an offer within ten minutes of an ad going up one Sunday evening, which was rejected so I agreed asking price subject to sight the following Tuesday. Mind you it was only a panel van then, 13 plate T30 lwb with air con and a 140. My point is that people will be waiting for the right spec and then you could just catch them. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That was me on Facebook, ha. I made an offer within ten minutes of an ad going up one Sunday evening, which was rejected so I agreed asking price subject to sight the following Tuesday. Mind you it was only a panel van then, 13 plate T30 lwb with air con and a 140. My point is that people will be waiting for the right spec and then you could just catch them. Good luck.
Preston actually this one.
Bought my van from Bristol without seeing it, Came on ebay and within minutes I had a deposit on it T:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies! It's really interesting to hear everyone's experiences of buying in the winter, and does reassure me a little. Re. finance - we covered the van with a personal loan so there's no finance deal attached to it, so I'm not worried about this being a problem.

I'm gutted to be getting rid of her - all the arguments for keeping her especially when we have a family all played a part in why we bought her in the first place (cheap holidays, loads of space for shopping and trips away etc). And we then spent thousands getting the right kit in the back so it was safe for our son, but we weren't expecting to be expanding quite as quickly as we are, and work commitments have changed which mean higher nursery fees, space requirements have changed which mean we need to buy a bigger house, and the next thing you know the van (which is a luxury for us and not something we need as we live near the city and walk everywhere) all of a sudden has a huge hit on your monthly outgoings.

I'd like to think that if we do end up selling her (we have someone coming to view tomorrow), it may only be a year or two before we're back in the market for a new one... Our plan is to move to Europe in the next couple of years once my husband has finished his PhD, and I'd definitely want to be back in a VW by the time we settle over there. This is my 3rd van, 2nd VW and I absolutely adore her - they're the best vehicles out there, so so versatile. I just wish they weren't so expensive!!

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I'll see how the viewing goes tomorrow and if it doesn't sell I'll look at putting an ad on Ebay, which is actually where I found her in the first place.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! It's really interesting to hear everyone's experiences of buying in the winter, and does reassure me a little. Re. finance - we covered the van with a personal loan so there's no finance deal attached to it, so I'm not worried about this being a problem.

I'm gutted to be getting rid of her - all the arguments for keeping her especially when we have a family all played a part in why we bought her in the first place (cheap holidays, loads of space for shopping and trips away etc). And we then spent thousands getting the right kit in the back so it was safe for our son, but we weren't expecting to be expanding quite as quickly as we are, and work commitments have changed which mean higher nursery fees, space requirements have changed which mean we need to buy a bigger house, and the next thing you know the van (which is a luxury for us and not something we need as we live near the city and walk everywhere) all of a sudden has a huge hit on your monthly outgoings.

I'd like to think that if we do end up selling her (we have someone coming to view tomorrow), it may only be a year or two before we're back in the market for a new one... Our plan is to move to Europe in the next couple of years once my husband has finished his PhD, and I'd definitely want to be back in a VW by the time we settle over there. This is my 3rd van, 2nd VW and I absolutely adore her - they're the best vehicles out there, so so versatile. I just wish they weren't so expensive!!

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I'll see how the viewing goes tomorrow and if it doesn't sell I'll look at putting an ad on Ebay, which is actually where I found her in the first place.

How did the viewing go? I am only asking as I am considering an upgrade of my T5 rather than spending the money on adding the bits I want!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How did the viewing go? I am only asking as I am considering an upgrade of my T5 rather than spending the money on adding the bits I want!!!
It was a lovely elderly couple who came to view - they were planning a long tour of Scotland and their caravan was too big to take on the small country roads. They were looking at two in the area and decided to go for the LWB as they felt they needed just that bit more room. For what it's worth though they really liked the van and said it was the best they'd seen condition-wise - it just wasn't big enough for them.

So, I've put her up in the classifieds (http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1153586) and on eBay and I'm also speaking with some dealers to see what kind of a hit we'd take if we wanted to sell quickly to trade. Not my preferred option (of course) but just putting the feelers out really so we can see exactly what our options are.

Good luck with the upgrade!

·
Registered
289 Posts
It was a lovely elderly couple who came to view - they were planning a long tour of Scotland and their caravan was too big to take on the small country roads. They were looking at two in the area and decided to go for the LWB as they felt they needed just that bit more room. For what it's worth though they really liked the van and said it was the best they'd seen condition-wise - it just wasn't big enough for them.

So, I've put her up in the classifieds (http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1153586) and on eBay and I'm also speaking with some dealers to see what kind of a hit we'd take if we wanted to sell quickly to trade. Not my preferred option (of course) but just putting the feelers out really so we can see exactly what our options are.

Good luck with the upgrade!

Thank! I'll have a decent look at your listing and see if it's looking to match my needs!

If not, good luck with the sale and hopefully you'll avoid some of the eBay 'annoyances' and get somebody from here to buy it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank! I'll have a decent look at your listing and see if it's looking to match my needs!

If not, good luck with the sale and hopefully you'll avoid some of the eBay 'annoyances' and get somebody from here to buy it!

Thanks, it'd be great for her to go to someone here - I'd MUCH prefer that! And good luck with the upgrade whatever you end up doing :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts