VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
previously known as "Jono12"
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been to look at a van which I'm pretty keen on but it has no service history. Its on 160000 miles.
Have many of you guys bought vans with no service history?
I know its been serviced recently and I'd guess its due a cambelt. Body work looks tidy and drives well (as far as I can tell, I've never driven a van before and I'm no mechanic)

Would you buy it??

·
Registered
283 Posts
Probably not TBH.
T4 engines can go on for ever, but they must have regular oil and filter changes. Diesels are tough on their oil.
I'd want to see proof of oil changes at least every 10,000miles.
I know the temptation is to buy the first van you see, but there are always better ones just around the corner.........:)
Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I bought one with no history and new i was taking a big risk but one year on,cam belt,water pump and services done ive had no problems and its just gone through its mot and only needed a rear shock and steering gaiter.

·
previously known as "Jono12"
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx guys
Ive just been on the VOSA website to check previous MOT history and since 2006 its failed twice. due to Faulty horn(twice), low coolant levels and a bald tyre. Nothing too alarming there!
The place I'm thinking of buying from has said to me if theres any probs I can take it back to them, I will make sure I get that in writing if thats the case.
I dont know what to do....

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Are you going to spend a fair chunk on it?
You could buy a van with every stamp in the book, it's still no gurantee that something wont happen to it.
If you can get some written gurantee from the garage then that's some back up at least.

Full service and a cambelt change when you buy it and start the service history from when you've bought it T:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Are you going to spend a fair chunk on it?
You could buy a van with every stamp in the book, it's still no gurantee that something wont happen to it.
If you can get some written gurantee from the garage then that's some back up at least.

Full service and a cambelt change when you buy it and start the service history from when you've bought it T:
Who cares ?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanx guys
Ive just been on the VOSA website to check previous MOT history and since 2006 its failed twice. due to Faulty horn(twice), low coolant levels and a bald tyre. Nothing too alarming there!
The place I'm thinking of buying from has said to me if theres any probs I can take it back to them, I will make sure I get that in writing if thats the case.
I dont know what to do....
Not sure about commercials, but when you privately buy a car from a trader and its not dirt cheap, they are responsible for all major faults for 6 months by law. check honest john and email him re vans.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Not sure about commercials, but when you privately buy a car from a trader and its not dirt cheap, they are responsible for all major faults for 6 months by law. check honest john and email him re vans.
Its 3 months but still better than nothing ,
as for service history it dependes on the van and who you have bought it off ,some people service there own stuff doesnt make it bad as for stamps in the book anyone can stamp a book it does happen alot
take the van on merit many vehicles you will get a feel for also take someone (like a mechanic friend ) you know and trust as they dont have rose tinted glasses it helps alot
good luck with the search T:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought mine with no history ive had it serviced regular keeping all receipts,when i was looking i saw a van that had history that was hanging out of its a##e, its the individuals choice.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I bought my T4 with no service history at all, 92K on the clock and an impressive invoice showing the cam belt had just been done.

Next thing I knew: ping went the cambelt, so much for service history!!!!!!

It's now on it's 3rd cam belt because mileage is now marching towards 250 K some 8 years later.

loads of trouble on the last change as the garage were cowboys and messed the job up leaving me stuck by the side of the road in the South of France.

I think the moral of the story is that having paperwork is good but everything written can be forged. Paying to have a job done is not the same as the job being done properly.

Look long and hard before parting with the folding.

If it feels wrong then it probably is.

Rhys

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,096 Posts
It's an old thread but still very relevant.

Depends on how old a vehicle is (if talking T4s, at least 15 years old though) but I think the MOT history probably says more about how a vehicle was looked after more than a service history (as has been said, service histories can be easily made up, MOTs cannot). MOTs with no fails or meaningful advisories tends to mean the van was well cared for.

Also where is the vehicle from? If a public sector type van, the chances are it was serviced frequently but has no receipted history due to the way those internal workshops work. My current LT came with no history of servicing, but a phone call to the Country Council vehicle workshop produced an printout of an Excel worksheet with around 100 separate entries over 12 years showing every time it had any work done, down to individual bulb changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts