VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Daft question ... bought my van with 19k on the clock its now on 32k but the service not come yet ! being to the dealer a few times they said the van will tell me when its due ? like other cars does this come on the dash (miles ) ? :confused:

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
First service on a t5.1 is 24k. That's what my kombi on long life service intervals was. I did it at 15k because I didn't like the idea of servicing every 24k miles.
If you push the left hand button on the speedo a couple time it should display how an miles to service.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Service every 10k only way to go ,yes long life great saves you money for sure !!
Longterm its not cant be ,some get on well with it some like myself struggle with concept of oil doing 20k
Guys at my local VW even say better to change oil at 10k only thing it will hurt is your pocket
can be done for 90 to 100 quid ,oil isnt cheap

·
Pendle Performance Main Agent
1,135 Posts
Ok , is it best to wait or should i get it serviced ? thanks for the answer
I service mine as and when, not according to the schedule (more often than necessary lol).

If it is a worry do it, it's not going to harm the engine and you just might prevent a problem arising. T:

·
Registered
692 Posts
I understand not everyone is mechanically minded but oil changes are an absolute doddle. The oil and parts even if you get posh oil shouldn't exceed £50 odd.
I must be missing something would you not struggle to get 8litres of 507 oil and proper vw filter for 50 quid !!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Daft question ... bought my van with 19k on the clock its now on 32k but the service not come yet ! being to the dealer a few times they said the van will tell me when its due ? like other cars does this come on the dash (miles ) ? :confused:
Don't know how old the van is but beware your warranty doesn't expire before the long life service is due. I waited till the light came on which was after the warranty expired, guess what, a list of advisory jobs came up Grrrr!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I service mine as and when, not according to the schedule (more often than necessary lol).

If it is a worry do it, it's not going to harm the engine and you just might prevent a problem arising. T:
I understand not everyone is mechanically minded but oil changes are an absolute doddle. The oil and parts even if you get posh oil shouldn't exceed £50 odd.

Cheapest oil on Opei oils website is £33.59 for 5 litres, you'd need 2 so £67.18 for the is alone. Castrol is £42 for 4 litres £84 quid.

Where do you get you oil from? I wouldn't mind paying only 50 quid for the oil and filter.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,144 Posts
I must be missing something would you not struggle to get 8litres of 507,00 oil and proper vw filter for 50 quid !!!
Last month I bought 10L of Quantum 5W30 507.00 and a genuine oil filter for just under £46 all-in at TPS. They had the oil on special offer at the time, and told me that they expect to have that oil on sale once a month or so.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Last month I bought 10L of Quantum 5W30 507.00 and a genuine oil filter for just under £46 all-in at TPS. They had the oil on special offer at the time, and told me that they expect to have that oil on sale once a month or so.
Thats a good price for sure T:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quantum is often on offer at TPS. I use Mobil 1 esp 5w30 £42 for 5 litres at Halfords. An additional litre is about £15. Filter about £8 frm TPS. I use trade card at Halfords but even without your looking at £65 and if you buy 2x 5 litres tubs the next change will be much more cost effective. Shop around people :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts