VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
This isn't Facebook you know
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has ever had the problems im having with my van

She is a 2.5 Auto caravelle and is on a Y plate The problem is that when your at approx 50mph the van judders like mad, it feels like your going over a rumble strip

the problem is intermittant but is getting worse it seems to judder and shudder more from the N/Side but im not 100% sure of that

it is possible to get it to the juddering and press the throttle and keep it doing it but its not nice

any suggestions to what you think it might be would be very much apreciated

many thanks

chas

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
does it feel like a suspension issue or could it be engine related it could be any thing from a worn suspension damper to injector going down,
i would check tyre pressures and wheel bolts then wheel bearings check brakes are not binding then i check for broke rear springs and ball joints but normally they would knock not judder
how old are the tyres it could be a tyre that is collapsing internally my old man had the same changed the tyres and fixed it garage said one tyre had lost it shape/construction
is it any worse when turning on a slow full lock to rule out cv joints after that you got to be looking at eng/gearbox

·
Registered
308 Posts
sounds to me like gearbox....can you avoid the rumble by using the box manualy like taking her up to 60mph in third and then going in to top? and doe's it sometimes change with a big thump (like you been rear ended)?

·
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what he said T:
sounds to me like gearbox....can you avoid the rumble by using the box manualy like taking her up to 60mph in third and then going in to top? and doe's it sometimes change with a big thump (like you been rear ended)?
Cheers folks, oh dear ive been out and made sure its doing it in top but when im in 3rd its not so its not looking good is it

Also it does from time to time change as you say like someone rear ended you with a bang

where do i go from here im gutted :(

THANKS to everyone who replied to my cry for help it really is appreciated T:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yeh well mines been doing it for two years now. reading a few posts from others its looking likely to be the torque converter, iv'e decided to go for the manual conversion so at the moment i'm using my donor van, not looking forward to doing the conversion but looking foward to reeping the benifits :)

·
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The silly thing is with mine is it might not do it for quite a few miles and then comes back real bad then goes again anyone know how much a gear box for this might cost me

just to remind you its a 2.5 Y plate caravelle dont worry i am sitting down just tell me please :eek:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
First of all do a fluid and filter change, then check for any error messagesT:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts