VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
can anyone help, my T5 LWB 2.5 shakes at 60mph and sometimes even at 40mph. The steering wheel vibrates and so does the dash.
Do I need to worry? I have 18" RR wheels and 255's.
I wondered if it was to do with the wheels I took the bolts out and I think they are the original vw. They were only screwing in approx 4mm!! So have grinded off section next to thread so they go in much further approx extra 10mm. It still shakes but I feel a little happier.
I would greatly appreciate any advice as I don't have a clue about technical issues and always learn from you knowledgable people. Are my wheels safe or do I really need to get one of those conversion kits, not sure if the person I bought it off researched it properly?
cheers

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds like you need longer bolts and possibly get your tracking/balancing checked. I'd be getting it sorted sooner rather than later though as you may have weakened the existing bolts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna have to take the wheels off and have a look, I bet there aren't any wheels spigots.
I think the person I bought it off as just bought the RR wheels and swapped them over.
If I find out there aren't any spigots can I still drive it till I buy some? Or will it cause big problems?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that, I did wonder if it may also be the tracking as well.
When you say I may have weakened the bolts do you mean cause they have only been screwed in a few mm or since I have grinded part of them?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I took the bolts out and I think they are the original vw. They were only screwing in approx 4mm!! So have grinded off section next to thread so they go in much further approx extra 10mm. It still shakes but I feel a little happier.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You need to get a conversion kit ASAP! Infact before you drive the van again as butchering the wheel bolts is not a good idea at all! You could have a very nasty accident!! Try Merseyspeed or Boss they both have good feedback on here.

Also, it could be something else, wheel balance, worn bushes etc but get the wheel issue sorted first. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for your advice, I am gonna ring Merseyspeed first thing Monday morning!!!!!T:
Looks like I'll on the push bike tomorrow:D

·
Registered
239 Posts
If I find out there aren't any spigots can I still drive it till I buy some? Or will it cause big problems?
The nuts/bolts simply secure the wheels in place and are not designed to carry the weight. Without correct fitment of the rims on hubs (in your case facilitated by spigots), you risk a catastrophic failure. :eek:

Push bike sounds like a plan until it's sorted! T: A: :)

:ILU:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is very scary.
When I got the van at easter we drove all the way to Cornwall from Derby! :eek:
I'm gonna take a wheel off to check but I'm betting theres no spigot.
thanks for your advice, I really appreciateT:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not sure about alloy wheel options, but i used to work for a company that ran about a dozen standard t5s in various guises.

We did get problems like you suggest, and it turned out to be the tyres going out of shape. The tyre i remember seeing was a conti, but i'm led to believe other manufacturers tyres have been known to do it as well.

You can check by running your hand across the tyre- if it is going out of shape then you will feel some of the tread lines sitting higher than the others. In other words it won't feel "flat".

This will also show up if you get it balanced.

·
Registered
703 Posts
thank you for your advice, I am gonna ring Merseyspeed first thing Monday morning!!!!!T:
Looks like I'll on the push bike tomorrow:D
No worries, the spigot rings come as part of the kit I believe.

Oh, and get it sorted soon as I'm coming up your way to Donnington (Download Festival) in a few weeks and don't want you smashing into me Rasp: Seriously though, you are very lucky nowts gone wrong, keep safe dude.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts