VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at shaving bumpstop mounts.Can some metal be removed off the upper wishbone too to give clearance or avoid knocking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey stu I was also thinking of doing it to mine as it is pretty much resting straight on the rear bump stops now and the ride is great apart from the potholes I might give it a shot this weekend and see how it turns out ... I might need updated springs as I have a fair bit of weight in the back of my bus ..I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
hi nicklouse, i'm interested in doing this mod, does it make the ride feel more standard ?
stew
No it doesn't make the ride feel anything like standard. But it does help it stop crashing so much over potholes. I'm down 100mm at the front, and still have to drive like the tarmac wants to kill me, even though I've notched the shock mounts. Notching the actual chassis rails is the way to go but I wouldn't recommend anyone but a professional carry out that kind of work! :ILU:

·
Registered
145 Posts
No idea.

People say it gives them back some of the travel they have lost by lowering. I am not that low that I think I need it.
thanks for that nicklouse, i'm not that low either but i will give the bumpstops the treatment and see how it goes first.
Andy, thanks for the info too, as above i'll try the bumpstops and mibby a wee grind of the shock mount !!

cheers
stew

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
thanks for that nicklouse, i'm not that low either but i will give the bumpstops the treatment and see how it goes first.
Andy, thanks for the info too, as above i'll try the bumpstops and mibby a wee grind of the shock mount !!

cheers
stew
No worries mate. If you're not silly low, it will help quite a lot. It's only cos loons like me who like to scrape tarmac. If it ain't sparking, it ain't low enough :ILU:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
We notched our top plates (it's in my build thread), very easy to do and worthwhile as mentioned.

Also fitted new shocks at same time, but now they seem to have settled am considering winding the front up a tad I: x

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Anything else i need to know about suspension mods as i like scraping tarmac.T:
Just be aware of the limited room you have under the front arches. Short shocks are a must for anything more than a 50mm drop. And also check the ball joints regularly. I'm going for a full chassis notch, when I can get my mate to do it. He's a mechanical engineer who loves doing that kind of stuff for cups of tea and beer, hence he's always busy and hard to get hold of....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well ive got fk ak streets for it but not sure if theyre up to the job.Whats the chassis notch for.I am skilled enough to do that, which i'd need to before i paint the bay. Thanks for your input by the way.T:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Well ive got fk ak streets for it but not sure if theyre up to the job.Whats the chassis notch for.I am skilled enough to do that, which i'd need to before i paint the bay. Thanks for your input by the way.T:
Chassis notch to give more clearance than just grinding the shock mounting plates will give. I have about 15-20mm of travel on the front at the moment, before the arm hits the top mount. Hence I drive like the tarmac hates me, to try to avoid crashing and banging from the front. Doesn't always work LOL:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts