VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there just about to insulate my van, looked at celotex etc but I have a load of sheep wool from last years flock sitting in my shed do you think this would be ok to use? Totally natural stuff and obviously wont put in the 'dirty bits' but it's there and it's free, what would it be like for water retention etc. it's quite oily?

I was thinking of combining that with ThermaWrap and flashing tape, what do you think?

Cheers,
Stu.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Natural, untreated wool is a great insulator but it will suffer from the same problem as any 'loose' material. That is if hung in a vertical space gravity will eventually drag it toward the bottom and your insulation will then be thinner at the top.

Horizontal spaces would work better but the other considerations which come to mind are the fact that it will tend to hang on to moisture which it will pick up from condensation and its weight.

I briefly considered trying to use natural materials when insulating my van, as we are of that turn of mind, but ended up using Therma-wrap. However there must be a way of doing it and if you figure it out I'd love to know.

Cheapest Therma-wrap I found was at Screwfix but if you don't have one near you Toolstation deliver free on orders over £10. I'd check all the DIY stores as they seem to have insulation on sale at the moment.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think it's a good idea (also works well as loft insulation). If it's untreated I would suggest packing it tightly into heavy duty plastic bags and sealing with a hot glue or something similar - this will prevent moisture (and smell?) problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for comments.

Packing into sealed plastic bag might work you know, get them small enough and stuffed tight should do the trick. Time to experiment!!

What would be good is some sort of heated seal on the plastic.

With such a large amount of free resource it would be a shame not to use it.

Cheers,
Stu.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
If you dont it will stink!!
We have sheep and i've had the same thought for years but would rather have it cleaned first.. Costs a fortune if you look into it.
Thought about sealed bags but in the heat the wool will sweat and i cant imagine its gonna give much insulation all slumped down in sweaty bags, yuk!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You will inevitably seal in moisture when sealing a plastic bag, both from the wool and the atmosphere. You could try vacuum packing it if you've got a powerful enough pump.

Yes wool works well as loft insulation - because it's laid onto the ceiling boards and therefore stays put. Packing will settle when hung vertically unless packed in very tight rolls. I suggest you try packihg a few bags and then hang them in your shed for a few weeks at least. That way you can check settling and moisture inside. My bet is they'll be damp but would be happy to be proved wrong.

I would suggest you experiment before doing the job on the van.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts