VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure this has probly been done to death but wow..

my tail gate seal has perished a little and waters getting in so I thought id have a look about..

Mentioned is that vw ones are 70 odd, tidys are 40.. and jk is 90 odd? Very expensive if your considering doing this job all round (which most vans with lots of use will need eventually)
God knows how much it would cost if you sent it to fred in a shed to do it as well.

Obvious choice where im going.. unless anyone would advise against going cheap (er)
Im thinking mastic.. haha..

·
Formerly known as boscombesurfer
1,315 Posts
Thats good to know let us know if the quality is the same, I will need a sliding door seal soon before winter sets in, cheers for posting that tip T:

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Me personally I would go OEM but that's just me.
I'm sure the lower priced one will be ok:*
Can't comment on the lower priced but tidys stuff I've had had always been OK.
Quality will be fine. I'm not a fan of waiting though I:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats good to know let us know if the quality is the same, I will need a sliding door seal soon before winter sets in, cheers for posting that tip T:
No worries bud.

How comes the jk ones are more expensive than genuine?

Are they better?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hello Everyone. If you find your seal is to short you might need to Stretch it a bit. I took my original seal off to fit the carpet behind it and it was a bit short when I refitted it. So I took it all of again and then put it back on giving it a light pull. It then fitted ok the second time.

On my side door the seal was ripped at the bottom, so I bought a metre of door seal of the bay' for about £10.

John.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Everyone. If you find your seal is to short you might need to Stretch it a bit. I took my original seal off to fit the carpet behind it and it was a bit short when I refitted it. So I took it all of again and then put it back on giving it a light pull. It then fitted ok the second time.

On my side door the seal was ripped at the bottom, so I bought a metre of door seal of the bay' for about £10.

John.
Allo mate. Sweet. Well I could try tidys gear and try the stretch method.

but 50 meters sounds pretty good too. Maybe someone would go 2 ways with me could do the whole van for .. thats if the stuff is as good.. is hard to tell without trying it out or seeing it first..

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does it have the same cross section dimensions as o.e part?
Not sure what the Orem is I think so since ts listed for vw t4 but if you use their search there is another option for this type of rubber, I'm going to buy a roll tomorrow to do the whole van , will report back

FYI - for those fitting windows they have a better profile window rubber which is oval at the top instead of round the window sits in the recess a lot better, I can vouch for this massive difference

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure what the Orem is I think so since ts listed for vw t4 but if you use their search there is another option for this type of rubber, I'm going to buy a roll tomorrow to do the whole van , will report back

FYI - for those fitting windows they have a better profile window rubber which is oval at the top instead of round the window sits in the recess a lot better, I can vouch for this massive difference
Sounds good bud. Keep us posted.. if you want to sell your spares, im your man A:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts