VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW MOT REGS FOR 2012!!! Testers have to look for a Cat or DPF to visibly check one has been installed!! if your vehicle is supposed to have one then from midnight tonight is will need one!! so if you havent got one installed, your van isnt road legal "won't" pass an MOT and therefore you have no insurance my local garage informs me, sweet, happy new year to all those who thought your DPF nightmares were behind you:(

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
When I had my van mapped Jamie said that was coming
And said keep the cat for now,bad news for all those people
that have let tuners cut out there DPFs

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Maybe PP will make a decat that looks like the cats still on
there now like I wanted,but no one makes um :*

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Old news ,dpf removal ,is simply the dpf took off cut open emptied of its insides , re-welded and replaced so to even the trained eye it looks as it should ,simples.

So not really an issue with the dpf guys n gals ,T:

more the millions of cars that have the de-cat pipes fitted .

Just bash out the cats insides its is no different to the decat pipe .

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Numpty Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is a DPF??
Diesel particulate filter ,good for cyclists and pedestrians health as it removes soot particles ,bad for van and your wallet when they go bad T:

Fitted to 2.5 t5's Late 2006 onwards and a lot of other diesels T:

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Old news ,dpf removal ,is simply the dpf took off cut open emptied of its insides , re-welded and replaced so to even the trained eye it looks as it should ,simples.

So not really an issue with the dpf guys n gals ,T:

more the millions of cars that have the de-cat pipes fitted .

Just bash out the cats insides its is no different to the decat pipe .
agree with you mate about the de cat pipes...but are you suggesting people should bash out the inside of these cat's!..becausue if you are,people please be aware,this should not be done and is very dangerous to your health..:eek:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had my dpf deleted van mot,d this morning but i,m not gonna worry about the next one as the dpf pipe is still fitted its just had the internal matrix removed which means it still looks standard besides i kept my original dpf ( just in case ) and bought a warranty replacement dpf off a fella who works for a vw dealership.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
agree with you mate about the de cat pipes...but are you suggesting people should bash out the inside of these cat's!..becausue if you are,people please be aware,this should not be done and is very dangerous to your health..:eek:
To right!,the insides of a cat are as dangerours as asbestos,there the last thing i'd cut open,
Like said it needs someone to make a decat pipe that looks like a cat,
Not a flash stainless steel pipe.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All well and good all this trickery but you have to consider you are decieving the MOT and your insurance company I:and if you get caught i think you would be in deep s..t, you have to ask yourself is it worth it? make no mistake i too have considered the options but right now i'm thinking it won't take but a couple of hours to put the lot back on, but then it will have to be remaped again:bhd the annoying thing is, mine was mapped so well it doesnt smoke! i rarely even smell exhaust smoke, which does show that you don't need the bl..dy thing in the first place, modern engines being so efficient coupled with the right ops and a good mapper it can be done, a clean running engine without a DPF and i remember with the DPF fitted it used to pump out an awfull stink which i cannot see how that is good for the enviroment:eek:

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
all sort of rumours going around in regards to this decat situation,,,,,,,,,,, does this not apply to vehicles built 2008 onwards....?
2008 onwards is that right
i wanted a straight through de-cat last year but my mot mate said wait and see

:ILU:

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
ive looked on other forums and google info and everything ive read up to now seems like 2008 onwards,,,
but that not 100% guranteed info.... sort of wait and see i think,, my MOT is due at the end of january so ile find out more then i hope..... but im with you iss i wanted mine took out as well got full stainless steel with no boxes but still got the cat....

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Not suggesting anyone bash them out thats up to them , ive cut open more than i can count ,since the 90's and never worn any masks thats my choice ,i also smoke again my choice T:.
Scaremongery most of it IMHO

But Please people if you do mess with a cat/dpf wear protective masks /clothing

Same as getting oil on your hands its cancer causing ,etc....

smoking ...ditto....

breathing in soot walking to the shops from PP t4's and the like ....ditto...

Driving on the roads in general with all the Stretched tyre lads zooming around.....

Sharing the road with modded VANS with inferior aftermarket alloy wheels and tyres...... with cracked rims and oddly worn tyres

Lowered van drivers be careful as the crash protection crumple zones now sit lower so you may get injured in a lesser impact .......

·
Registered
371 Posts
I picked this up off another site, the chap had written to Vosa for clarification

Dear Shaun,

Thank you for your e-mail reply dated 19th December 2011, concerning new MOT test rules.

The fitment of a catalytic converter to petrol engine vehicles is mandatory for vehicles of the specified age and type e.g. passenger car, goods etc. The MOT Inspection Manual can therefore specify exactly what petrol engine vehicles must have a catalyst fitted.

However, whilst diesel engine vehicles are required to meet certain emissions limits for Type Approval, the method used to achieve this is not specified. It was left to the engine manufacturer to decide how to meet Euro 3, 4, 5 etc emissions standards.

For this reason, testers would be unable to readily determine which vehicles are OE fitted with a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC), Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) or Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system.

It was therefore considered that the introduction of a Reason for Rejection for a missing diesel catalyst at this stage, whilst complying with the Directive, was likely to lead to many incorrect failures, which is clearly unacceptable.

The matter is under review and may therefore change in the future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts