VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this great forum as i am about to buy my first vw transporter. however im in a bit of a prediciment. Whats happened is that i asked a conversion company to find me a van, which they have and it sounds great, ive paid my deposit. The van is due to be delivered to the company this week and i will have it once its converted to my specification. But there is a problem, there has been a slight mix up and the van is swb when i asked for lwb. The company say i dont have to buy the van and that they will keep it or i can still choose to have it.

I am in two minds whether to keep it or not. So my question is just howmuch extra space is there in a lwb. Should i hold out for a lwb or just go with the swb.

Someone help me please :confused:

(im not having a good day)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want the van for carrying bikes, i prefer to keep them inside, thats why i wanted the lwb. But ive been told that a bike should go straight into a short anyway and still have plenty of leg room. I dont know whether i will need extra room. I can always fit a towbar and use my bike rack.

Hmm, Does anyone on here know how to stretch a swb to a lwb? I:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Cosmo, I use a swb for mountain biking (if thats the bikes you mean), its a Kombi and bikes fit no problem. With the seats in, I can fit 8 behind the seats, front wheels off. if its motorbikes, seats out, I can carry a ZZR11 and a XT600, again no problem. I want to avoid bikes outside the vehicle as the damage from road spray/salt in Scotland was way worse than the trails...

I took my bike to the dealer for a fitting (even had a Vito Sport-x for a weekend), before choosing, this an option for you?

HTH

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Rickmeister, yes mountain bikes. I really wanted to get them in without taking the front wheel off. Can you get the bike in straight with the wheel still on.

I can view the van but not for a week or so, its quite a few miles from me

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went for a shorty as i was concerned about parking, but after 6 months i wish i had got a LWB as space inside can be tight. And i drove a LWB whilst mine was in the dealers for a water pump and parking was fine.

The SWB looks a little better but apart from the that go for the LWB.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I went LWB, mainly coz the right one came up at the time but wouldn't go back now. Depends what else you want in it other than stickin' yer bikes in the bike. Mines got a 3 seat bench, double and single on swivels in back. Can move bench and fit 2 motorbikes in back and still have peeps sat on double and single, but I don't have any cupboards etc in there.
Yes, it has got the turning circle of a battleship but you get used to it and parking isn't difficult.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Cosmo, have a look at team black 213 at the bottom of the forum pages, there is a pic of bikes in my van. Yes, no probs with wheels on. bonus if you have bolt through front forks. Our work vans are LWB and bikes fit in complete with one row of seats in, diagonally. If that makes sense....

Not missing a LWB so far, 5 peeps/8 bikes in a swb, just need to pack tidy....

·
Registered
77 Posts
for push bikes?

hell yeh you can fit them in with the wheels on. had 5 people and 6 dh bikes in mine, all fully assembled.

push bikes are tiny! even the big ones....

had 3 mx bikes in mine too, again fully built.

can anyone top that?

·
Registered
539 Posts
If you've got the option then definitely hold out for a LWB. I've got a LWB camper and the extra space makes such a difference.

It depends what you're using it for though, horses for courses and all that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ill be carrying 3-4 bikes but i want to just keep them in the back, not removing any seats. Ill also be using it for week long trips to scotland and trips to france so going to need room for kit etc.

Think im going to have to hold out for the lwb, just when i thought my search for the perfect van was over

·
Registered
539 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. I was lucky that my mate sold me his van in the end, but i spent 6 months looking for the right van, with no joy.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Cozmo, sounds lke its lwb for you if you want the seats and wheels on, good luck with the search.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You won't get 3 or 4 bikes in a SWB with the wheels on and a second row of seats, gauranteed.

We borrowed a SWB Kombi last year to go to the Alps, and literally could get 2 in diagonally, and that was the lot (and they were the smaller bikes). Big DH bikes you will struggle even more.

We now have a LWB & they go in fine. Plenty of room. The whole point of having a van to me was being able to lob the bikes in complete. No point in pi**ing around taking wheels off, you might as well have an estate and a bike rack if thats the case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts