VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I'm about to take the plunge and buy a T4 SWB, mainly for holidays with my motorbike stuffed in the back/bicycle/wife etc. So I'll be using it to trawl along motorways a fair bit on my hols, as well as commuting to work when not having fun.

My question to you lot is should I hold out for a 2.5 or will the 1.9 be ok for motorway slogging?

I don't want to be thrashing the **** out of it everywhere! Advice much appreciated. Oh yeah - viewing a T4 1.9tdi tomorrow, anything I should be looking for in particular?

cheers. :)

Mag

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welcome to the forum fellow TykeT:

Hauling a bike about and the hills around Ilkley I would go for a 2.5, but then again I'm biasedI:
Try both and see for your self. Only the 2.5 is a TDi the 1.9 is a td by the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. It's a really tidy 1.9 though I'm finding it hard to resist. You're right about the hills round here though could do with a bit of shunt to get me up them!

68bhp does sound pretty weedy. My 22 year old guzzi makes more than that. Hmmm....a V-Twin transporter? It'd sound great.

·
Registered
362 Posts
id hold out but then i brought the 2.5, i used to have a 2.4 but my way of thinking is buy the best you can that way youl have no regrets, personaly id say drive both then make your mind up, this one may be cean but its not the only claen one in the country its just the only clean one under your nose at the moment:)

·
Registered
865 Posts
i had a 1.9 and decided id never have a t4 again.......until i drove a 2.5,
i had to replace the engine TWICE in the 1.9 because i had it give it s:* everywhere i went,
now i have a 2.5 102 bhp and wouldnt swap it for anything
each too there own, but im 2.5 all the way!!:ILU:
good luck with the looking:ILU:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll see what comes up. Anyone with a 2.5 they want to sell let me know!

The hunt continues I think....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If it was me I'd wait for the right van...don't compromise or make decisions too quickly as you may have to live with the compromise for some time!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks. I think the fever has subsided and the cheque book is back in the drawer for now. Sensible advice from a net forum..it's a welcome first for me;)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I know the feeling mate - have been vanless since Saturday with the cash in the bank and obsessing over all sorts! I am trying to tell myself to wait patiently for a vehicle that meets the vast majority of my requirements.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
There is loads you can do to the 1.9td though to make them huge amounts better without spending a fortune. I would happily challenge any stock 88BHP or even be so bold as to say a 102bhp and feel confident in beating it. The 2.5tdi is better for towing though as the initial 1.9td pullaway torque is a bit weak.

If you have fallen in love with a 1.9td van i say go with you heart and forget the 1.9td haters, you wont regret it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts