VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the mistake of lifting up the floor on my 2007 T5 that was partially converted by the previous owner.. I wish I hadn't!

There is some surface rust around where the cargo hooks were, but I'm confident I can sand these back and treat them myself.

I'm more worried about this area under the step. It's just inside the side-door, directly behind the side-door seal.

The right-hand half of this trough is pretty rotten in points, a firm push in those areas with a screwdriver goes through the panel.
I haven't removed all of the paint yet. I don't know if it's the right thing to do since I can't weld, and if I end up with a big hole it will have to wait until I can find somebody to repair it.

I don't really know what I'm looking at.. if it was your van would you..

a. Ignore it, it's not that bad and will last for years before it needs replacing
b. Panic, the entire van will be rotten by summer
c. Something else :)

I don't expect the van to last forever, but we plan to keep if for a good few years..

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
My van was similar (2005) I cleaned the area up wire brush , then treat the rust, any holes you can use fibre glass filler then prime & paint or spray over . did mime 3 years ago & been ok since

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tarnish. That makes me feel a little better!

Did you manage to get back to bare metal with the wire brush? I'm finding it hard to get enough off with it.

I have ordered a knotted steel disk for some of the other spots in the floor, but worried there isn't enough good metal left to use that on this sill :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks tarnish. That makes me feel a little better!

Did you manage to get back to bare metal with the wire brush? I'm finding it hard to get enough off with it.

I have ordered a knotted steel disk for some of the other spots in the floor, but worried there isn't enough good metal left to use that on this sill :)
Just skim the rust off , dont go to mad with it most of the sill is covered anyway by the step , then smooth area with some 360 grade sandpaper . tidy any rough areas with filler then prep & paint over

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just skim the rust off , dont go to mad with it most of the sill is covered anyway by the step , then smooth area with some 360 grade sandpaper . tidy any rough areas with filler then prep & paint over
Great, thanks. I'm probably overthinking it by worrying about completely getting all the paint off to see all the rust underneath. I'll just get the worst off and treat it.

Thanks,
Dave.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Great, thanks. I'm probably overthinking it by worrying about completely getting all the paint off to see all the rust underneath. I'll just get the worst off and treat it.

Thanks,
Dave.
I gave mine a good coat of wax after & no probs. since

1 - 6 of 6 Posts