VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as I like a bargain, the answer was yes. So, after perusing ebay, I settled on a multifit 18" set of RS4 copies with good tyres.

Upon taking them down to the tyre shop, off came the centres, and 5 holes were staring at me. Not a good start as they were supposed to be multifit... We offer them up to test them, and yep, they're 5x100... :* Also, 2 of the 'good' tyres have clearly sat around for an age, and the rubber has cracked, so they're no good as well. So... After a bit of backwards and forwards correspondence and ebay's intervention, the money's back in my PayPal account, and I'm on the search again.

After a few let downs on here, I settle on a set of RS8 copies, again on ebay. I can see from the picture that they're multifit, and the tyres look good, apart from one which has a 'slow puncture'. They arrived this morning, and the first thing I spot is damage to the back of the alloy where it's clearly been kerbed rather hard. Off to the tyre shop I go, and yep... the alloy's buckled and is leaking air. :)* x 2) In fact, the damage to the alloy was enough to wear the tyre through on the inside, so that's FUBAR as well. So, now I'm waiting for another battle via email to get some form of recompense...

So, to you all who are seeking cheap alloys... Be damned sure you know what you're buying, and if possible, view them first. it could save you a LOT of hassle...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
yup fair point you never no what they came off could have been in a seriouse crash and have hair line cracks could be really dangerous also have you checked the load rating on these wheels cause alot of after market rims arent good enogh for a van as their built for light cars not heavy vans T:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also have you checked the load rating on these wheels cause alot of after market rims arent good enogh for a van as their built for light cars not heavy vans T:
Yeah, they're load rated alloys and tyres. That's the frustrating thing... I know exactly what I'm looking for, but it's the people selling who haven't got a clue... :bhd

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
sorry mate,but you prob wont want to hear this,but i buy loads of alloys off ebay,and up to now have never had a prob....

Suppose you always take the chance when you buy a cheap set of alloys or even second hand,although saying that i would never sell a dodgy set of alloys,just out of order and dangerous to the next user.

But thats the society we live in...........and ebay only makes it worse.:ILU:

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
I managed to get off ebay some genuine Brand new Vw 15" wheels proper load rating for £100 I:I: The guy had them up for £250 or best offer and put in a cheeky offer £100 and won them:D:D

I also have brought loads of alloy wheels of ebay and never had a a problem:gl I think I must have been lucky.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Its always an awkward one, I've been stung in the past when buying alloys on ebay, ment to be genuine kahn alloys which were not in the end, seems you just have to be careful these days. people just cant be honest from the start these days, as said above I just wouldn't sell it if it was dodgy or dangerous and its people who do that make places like ebay a nighmare!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts