VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a full width RIB for my swb t5 shuttle - I would love to see what others have done for storage , cooker pods etc - I need some ideas to make the best use of the space left .

I'm thinking swivel passenger seat to open up the van and a small pod behind the drivers seat with some sort of flip up table , storage draws or plastic bins underneath the seat .

Thanks guys/girls

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a 112cm rib (2 seater) and i use these under it

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/whatmore-stack-n-store-storage-box-p117997

lids are separate, but only a couple of £

I can get 3 of the boxes and a 2 small builders truggs (one inside the other, one for the kids shoes the other as washing up bowl) under the seat.
We have a box each for our clothes instead of a case or soft bag. Fit really well, no wasted space and stack really neat and tidy in the awing when you have set up camp.

Phil

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is great - thanks , for once a cheap option !!
What Do you hold them in with ? Or do they just sit in place ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=318175&page=2

I made my kitchen pod before I got the bed, guesstimated the measurements of the rib and just went for it.
The pod is secured down with the two m12 bolts using the original lash points

I'm going to use a waeco chest fridge under the rib so that the pod can be removed and placed into the tent without to much hassle

Im going to have to rethink my pod design or maybe make a full length kitchen as its a tad too long

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is great - thanks , for once a cheap option !!
What Do you hold them in with ? Or do they just sit in place ?
The frame of the RIB holds them in place, and i have a set on doors on the front of the frame to tidy it up.
When i get a minute I will take a photo for you.

Phil

·
Registered
9,434 Posts

1300mm wide, extra long RIB, was pro-installed by Dirty Weekender at Worcester, cabinets are homebuilt.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Here is my pod with a full width RIB. Not sure what to cover it with or if I want to use the bits as templates for posh lightweight board. I am also planning some long boxes on castors to go under the bed. The doors are now on it and have lift off hinges so double up as doors. A:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that a Lwb ? I only have about 40cm to play with at the front once the bed is out ?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Is that a Lwb ? I only have about 40cm to play with at the front once the bed is out ?
Yes the bed goes to the right side of the pod when it is down. Maybe if you have a swb you will have to go sideways accross the van a bit more. I couldn't do this as we have a twin swivel.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Mines a 3/4 but you can see the row of low line cupboards down one side, this gives me a full width bed. I think you could run some low line cupboards similar down the side of your van this way your bed would simply sit on top when down. T:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is mine - not bolted in place yet as I'm having a hard floor fitted 1st , it's ok with the shuttle headlining . It's the extra long version so I'm a bit short on space at the front for a kitchen pod but I'm designing my own after seeing some of the others on here , think ill contour it behind the drivers seat - then borrow the idea of fitting runners under the seat for boxes . Thanks for everyone's input .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update - I've been chopping away at my rear quarter panel in various places , the Rib sits much better now and I've gained 5" more room at the front as the top of the bed now fits snug against the rear door - an extra few inches is good in anyone's book ! Helps loads when I'm looking at building a pod . The beds being fitted in 10 days time by a professional installer who's also putting an altro floor down and carpeting the chopped up panels to make it look neat ! I'll post photos when it's done . Thanks to everyone for their input so far it's given me lots of ideas .

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I fitted the RIB so that it is tight against the back door.
We've slept on it for a month now and it's still good.
These are the photos we sent to the DVLA to change from 'panel van' to 'motor caravan'.
2x big plastic boxes under the seat hold all the bedding, pillows etc.
Get them from B&Q or similar.
Click here..

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I fitted the RIB so that it is tight against the back door.
We've slept on it for a month now and it's still good.
These are the photos we sent to the DVLA to change from 'panel van' to 'motor caravan'.
2x big plastic boxes under the seat hold all the bedding, pillows etc.
Get them from B&Q or similar.
Click here..
Is there not space between the backrest and the back door to stash bedding with a rib?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
And can't you edit posts on here??

This is what I mean, is there a space like this behind the bed? This is (a poo picture of) my cannons forge, the bedding (4 pillows and a big double duvet) all fits in there and the net stops it falling in a puddle when you open the back up.

2012-08-07 15.33.40 by phil.standen, on Flickr

·
Registered
209 Posts
Is there not space between the backrest and the back door to stash bedding with a rib?
We fold our bedding onto the parcel shelf part of the RIB bed(ie behind the backrest of the seat.) We then cover with a blanket and place tables and other light items on top. Works well for us. Under the parcel shelf goes the loo and other items.

And can't you edit posts on here??
Yes you can, but only if you have paid the small subscription to the forum.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
We fold our bedding onto the parcel shelf part of the RIB bed(ie behind the backrest of the seat.) We then cover with a blanket and place tables and other light items on top. Works well for us. Under the parcel shelf goes the loo and other items.
Cool, so this is the "travelling" position?

Most pics seem to show it with the rear section flipped up. Good news T:

Yes you can, but only if you have paid the small subscription to the forum.
Ah yeah, I did that once.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Cool, so this is the "travelling" position?
That is the travelling position we use.

We have the slider so that we can slide the seat back 22cm, for that we need to have the parcel shelf in the upright position, but it gives us more floor area accessible from the side door.Very useful when we were helping our daughter move house.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts