VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

701 - 720 of 740 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well I'm making a start on my two sets of steels, nothing fancy just don't like the rusted look.

My plan is to sand off rust with wire brush on drill, clean then, primer, paint and lacquer.

Sanded down 1.5 of my 10 wheels, so a fair bit to go yet!

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Well I'm making a start on my two sets of steels, nothing fancy just don't like the rusted look.

My plan is to sand off rust with wire brush on drill, clean then, primer, paint and lacquer.

Sanded down 1.5 of my 10 wheels, so a fair bit to go yet!
good luck got your work cut out there...T:

·
Registered
134 Posts
So I've 'done' 5 of them, they are improved but not great, the one is the photo is one of the better ones, the others were covered in surface rust. Well they're now sprayed in 'steel' and they will do for now, better than wheel trims on rusty steels anyway, will take pictures when on van from a distance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
So after speaking with a friend who used hammerite, we decided it might cover the pitting a bit more than the spraying had, so here they are after spraying and brushed on hammerite again not great but will do for a time before I can get some better condition wheels

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not turned out too bad, far from perfect but I'm happy with them, I have some VW centre caps on the way £20 for 6 on eBay which I thought wasn't too bad! A fair bit of arch work etc to do next - a local guy has a t2 reckons it might be easier to get new wings (new or better condition) as they are bolt on - anyone have any recommendations for after market ones like VW heritage t4rus etc?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
A fair bit of arch work etc to do next - a local guy has a t2 reckons it might be easier to get new wings (new or better condition) as they are bolt on - anyone have any recommendations for after market ones like VW heritage t4rus etc?
Personally I would use genuine VW T:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,102 Posts
So after speaking with a friend who used hammerite, we decided it might cover the pitting a bit more than the spraying had, so here they are after spraying and brushed on hammerite again not great but will do for a time before I can get some better condition wheels
better then before I am sure :)

Hammerite Smooth out the tin actually sprays very nicely when thinned down, so you get a smooth sprayed finish with hammerite protection. You need to work fast and probably clean the spray gun a few times during the process as the needle gets a bit sticky, but worth the effort

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for the replies, yeah I would say so I have another 5 wheels to have a go with so perhaps I could try spraying the Hammerite on next time! This is what they used to look like!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,519 Posts
Thanks for the replies, yeah I would say so I have another 5 wheels to have a go with so perhaps I could try spraying the Hammerite on next time! This is what they used to look like!
Hammerite is REALLY bad paint.....unless you "bake it" on.

Many years ago did my Landie bumpers....with 3Kw fan heaters blowing into them
GLASS finish, all the "dimples" showed, but the lacquer all floated to the top and gave a perfectly smooth finish.
2 years later,a "little accident" with a Mini on a roundabout.
3rd party stated (officially), "I saw you coming, but couldn't go any faster!".
She pulled out on me....I removed the rear window, one wing and boot from the Mini.
There was a 2" "scratch" on my Hammerited bumper T:

Other than baking it on, it's really poor quality paint....forms a hard surface, that does NOT stick to the metal (rust!).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is that Hammerite sprayed on or brushed?

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,419 Posts
Hi Guys, anyone know if the 6.5 x 16 vito steels fit in the et60 version?

Thanks
Not with such a high ET. The tyres would be too narrow on the axles.

But they’re popular for banding because there’s so much room to make them wider.

There’s a 16x7.5 et51 that works well. And the et is within VW’s spec of et55-45

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Not with such a high ET. The tyres would be too narrow on the axles.

But they’re popular for banding because there’s so much room to make them wider.

There’s a 16x7.5 et51 that works well. And the et is within VW’s spec of et55-45
Do you mean that the 7.5j et 51 fits? If that's the case then 6.5j et60 should too, as the inner rim is closer to the suspension on the 7.5 wheel (only 3.7mm, but still closer)

Do you know anyone who has these steels on their T4?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got brand new black vw 16x7J steelies for my van! A: Then I had them powder coated silver. Really like the original look... Sorry about the dark photo.

BR,
TT

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Got brand new black vw 16x7J steelies for my van! A: Then I had them powder coated silver. Really like the original look... Sorry about the dark photo.

BR,
TT
If they were black they are car wheels, will they be up to the job; or are those sort of things not so important in Finland :*:*:*

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
They look brill, how did you do the blue detailing, and can I ask did you use a primer for plastic on the center caps, if so what brand?
sorry for late reply mate and thanks they should do for winter wheels.

the blue detailing was masked out. so once the wheels were in primer it had a coat of colour put down where it was wanted (in my case blue round the outside of the wheel and over the logo on centre caps) they were then masked up, fine line tape for the wheel and masking tape on the logo cut out with a knife.

yes the centre caps had two coats of adhesion promoter on before the normal primer was applied, i used U-POL #Grip 4 adhesion promoter

701 - 720 of 740 Posts