VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some inspiration on how to kit out the back of my van and after trying various searches and looking through couldn't find a thread full of pics. So if your proud of your interior please share A:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Some pictures in my archive, I bought the Lightweight ply and mad my own units cost me around £800 all in including the R+R bed and electrics battery etc

·
Registered
855 Posts
Here's mine ,bought my units from howdens £400 with my mates trade ,cut down a fair bit so lost a lot of original weight
£ 200 smev sink /hob £600 R n R bed

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
More land boards worked really well. Trim was easy to fit with the right tools.

Draw out and lots of measuring needed T:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's an awesome conversion for £800!!! I must be shopping in the wrong places. I noticed you've replaced your interior lights with round LED ones, do you find they give off enough light?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Austin man some nice tricks in there. I recon with my R&R bed, foam, lights board to make furniture, tambour door, carpet and floor carpet, switches and sink unit etc etc I must have spent about £1000 -£1200 but I will say like ( I am guessing Austin Man ) I have done every thing my self to save money. If you plan it well you can make it look really good. T:

My lights poss same as Austin man are Ikea ones 4 in a pack for £20 I used 2 sets £40 for 8 and 4 switches in pairs WAY too much light but have full control and two lights in the tail gate for when it's open so works well..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the lights 12v or are they running off an inverter? You guys are making me jealous with you comfy vans, i need to get mine sorted asap before i get roped into moving any more washing machines! Lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
Very early planning stages for me.... those of you who have used howdens/ikea kitchen units for your furniture, couple of questions:

- did you buy full depth carcuses or the lesser depth ones usually that go on walls? Don't know how deep the units need to be to take fridge/hob and such so this would be useful for me to know!

- how do the doors stay closed on the flush fit kitchen units as I can't see any pop locks or anything to hold them closed? Just magnets or something enough!?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Austin man some nice tricks in there. I recon with my R&R bed, foam, lights board to make furniture, tambour door, carpet and floor carpet, switches and sink unit etc etc I must have spent about £1000 -£1200 but I will say like ( I am guessing Austin Man ) I have done every thing my self to save money. If you plan it well you can make it look really good. T:

My lights poss same as Austin man are Ikea ones 4 in a pack for £20 I used 2 sets £40 for 8 and 4 switches in pairs WAY too much light but have full control and two lights in the tail gate for when it's open so works well..
I got the LEDs from Mega Van mats only fitted 2 and left the original courtesy ones in as well both running off different supplies. Tw lights are well bright enough .

I didnt want to fit a cooker inside as I havent fitted a pop top. I cook out back using the folding table that I attached to the r&r bed

·
Registered
855 Posts
Very early planning stages for me.... those of you who have used howdens/ikea kitchen units for your furniture, couple of questions:

- did you buy full depth carcuses or the lesser depth ones usually that go on walls? Don't know how deep the units need to be to take fridge/hob and such so this would be useful for me to know!

- how do the doors stay closed on the flush fit kitchen units as I can't see any pop locks or anything to hold them closed? Just magnets or something enough!?

Thanks in advance!
I used base units and cut to fit , this was determined by the width of my bed, I didn't go for the usual push button catches as think they are boring
I have magnetic catches to stop doors opening and work well :)
I also used ply underneath as a spacer so the doors don't rub on the carpet when opened And set this Bach about 1/2 inch fom edge

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Personally i wouldn't go this route again and would by one of the T5Life units or similar, bit more expensive but way less work.

But if you are then measure your hob first and adjust your depth accordingly, if i remember right my units are about 15mm from the side of the van on the floor and the units are 350mm deep as there wall units.

On the door catch question i went for push catches from Screfix. You get a bag of 10 for £10. You do need to put the tiny little rubbers you get on kitchen door to give less of a bang when you close as this is need to put a little pressure on the push catch to stop it bumping open when driving. This is why i have no door handles as ive not seen any that dont make the doors look like a kitchen door.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts