VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys send me some pics or links please for your surf vans?
I need inspiration and ideas especially surfboard storage and sleeping arrangements.
In time I'm wanting to fit a 3 quarter rock and roll bed in mine but also have room to stash a board or two without them getting in the way.
Thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
ive seen on here somewhere, board storage that stows the board up on the ceiling. like two big straps from either side of the ceiling. I think someone even sells them on here.
either that or i'd be making a long pocket down the wall behind the drivers seat.
:ILU:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the straps idea in a post somewhere on here, can't find it now though.
Was thinking of having units down the offside of the van and buying them as a kit, maybe it's a rethink on the units and design my own.
As for having boards on the roof, yeah it's prob the best idea to keep boards out the way etc but I don't like the idea of having my boards easily accessible to light fingered people if you know what I mean?

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Aren't surf boards stereotypically strapped on the roof? :)
That depends if you want to advertise your stereotype and value of you kit.

Very few folk actually want to be that predictable. Do they :eek: !

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yea I know what you mean. I dont mean leave it on the roof. But I guess you need storage to put it for if you cant. I was only messin

I need ideas for snowboards and longboards and where to put ect!

·
Registered
799 Posts
I saw the straps idea in a post somewhere on here, can't find it now though.
Was thinking of having units down the offside of the van and buying them as a kit, maybe it's a rethink on the units and design my own.
As for having boards on the roof, yeah it's prob the best idea to keep boards out the way etc but I don't like the idea of having my boards easily accessible to light fingered people if you know what I mean?
Units down the offside means your board would be down the near side & blocking the sliding door access. A void behind your cabinets is all I can think of. Maybe utilise the rear quarters panels for cupboards instead

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm thinking it's either a case of storing the boards down the centre of the inside of the roof or redesigning some units where I can slide the boards underneath.
Definitely not a fan of leaving them on top of the roof especially when I'm doing the Sheffield to Woolacombe run.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That depends if you want to advertise your stereotype and value of you kit.

Very few folk actually want to be that predictable. Do they :eek: !
why wouldnt you,not everybody is on the rob and it would save a lot of room with your kit on the roof.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I might get a big surf board and put it on my roof just to look cool :D The fact that I have never stayed up (on the surfboard!) for more than a few seconds is nothing to do with itI:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might get a big surf board and put it on my roof just to look cool :D The fact that I have never stayed up (on the surfboard!) for more than a few seconds is nothing to do with itI:
I'm the same dude, don't worry about it.
People don't know how bad you surf when you're sat in the dude van at the side of the beach.
The van will help me get to the beach more to get more practice in

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I'm the same dude, don't worry about it.
People don't know how bad you surf when you're sat in the dude van at the side of the beach.
The van will help me get to the beach more to get more practice in
T: at least you plan to practice. I am just hoping it will make me look cooler (naturally I am 'well cool' already) and help me pull the surf chicks - at the wrong side of 50 that would be well cool :D! I might have to get the BBQ out and put some bacon on to really draw them in though I:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmmmmm bacon!!!!!!!
That's enough to pull anyone in.
If you don't like bacon then you have some serious issues.
You could always get beer on tap as well, you would def be on to a winner then

·
Registered
189 Posts

This is my windsurf set up. More a day van than a camper but for weekend trips i can have all my kit down one side and a camp bed on the left. It's worked for 5 trips down to cornwall since christmas! Enough racks for stacks of kit etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A decent a bit of kit you've got there.
I need enough room to sleep two hence me wanting atleast a 3 1/4 rock and roll, unless I get a tent for her to kip in :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
A decent a bit of kit you've got there.
I need enough room to sleep two hence me wanting atleast a 3 1/4 rock and roll, unless I get a tent for her to kip in :)
That's only the half of it Jimmy! Normally the whole RHS of the van is stacked with kit. Then I use the speaker box/seat to get into my wettie out of the cold. If I have a mate with me I offer them a tent or they can kip on the front seats - its my van! Without roof bars its the only way to carry a heap of kit.

In the summer when I have abit of cash and doing more trips in the van I will probably go with a 3/4 R+R bed and kit down the RHS in a self contained box or ill keep the board racks and make a permanent sleeping platform with storage under etc. I just wanted to use the van and find out how best to use the space which I have, however I must say at the moment it is PERFECT for what I use it for. I'm planning a month long road trip in europe at the end of august, driving down through France surfing on the way to Hossegor and then into northern spain/portugal to surf Mundaka and the breaks on that coast before getting the ferry back from Santander ready for uni. I cannot wait. Love how much I can travel in my trusty T4 :ILU:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got to laugh at myself here for how I've been writing 3/4 today, my brain is def on the go slow.
That trip you are planning sounds mint, would love to do something like that.
I'm a newbie at surfing and a newbie in the van world so I've got a hell of a lot to learn.
Could find the surfing trips a bit tricky as got the mrs, 2 kids and dog to think about.
The van would mainly be used by me and the mrs though.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts