VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I forgot to say never never never buy a coachbuilt without getting an independent habitation check on it first (specifically checking for damp). Mechanical things are not your biggest worry, they are relatively cheap to put right! its the bit at the back thats expensive!

We didnt get a check, and it was an expensive mistake, we have forgiven the bus but not the previous owner :)

John R

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Navigator 310rl that is a 2.4 turbo.
frankly i love it.
I used to have a 2.5 tdi van with reimo roof etc (see blue section in show me your van) and i really loved it but when little one came along i decided to go for a coachbuilt van and as i go to a lot of vw shows i needed something a bit bigger inside really and its great, if i goto a vw show and its not got showers i use mine and even if it does have showers i use mine (bloody hot too)
Also got my own thetford casette toilet on board so i use that too (you ever been to a vw show toilet??)
all in all i wouldn't change my motorhome for anything (i was like you a bit hmmmm should i shouldnt i)

my van has 36k miles on it and is in immaculate condition, its massive inside and when you see all the people at vw shows or any show really sat in their little camper vans when its raining all cramped up, i just sit in my van in the rear lounge and watch tv with all the room in the world.
What more can i say, i love it, i love it, i love it

erm hope this helps you decide
Is that an aftermarket turbo on your 2.4 orange?

Habitation/dampness check essential as previous punter says - the Autosleeper are a one piece monocoque shell but that doesn't mean the windows can't leak!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yes mate the turbo was fitted by a company called TB turbo in Lancaster, it was fitted when the van had 5k miles on it in 2000. its only got 36k on it now.
i used to own a 2.4 T4 and i know how slow they are but with the turbo on it there is a noticable difference.
Its not the greatest on fuel but to be honest i dont really care :)
Theres not a massive difference but when you think how much more you have compared to a standard T4, well its a coachbuilt for me every time.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Orangevanman, yep, that's where I am at the moment! Have taken things a step further and have phoned the company who are selling the navigator. I'm hoping to do a px on the mrs lwb trident which is a 2.4, 1995 with 26k on the clock! As I mentioned I'm slowly coming around to the fact that if we want to get out and about more and also have a bit more comfort and room without having to erect an awning then a navigator makes sense i guess.Well that and the other half pointing me in her direction!!! I'm only bloody 45 and I'm scared of turning into an old fogey;)

I'll certainly keep you posted guys....who'd of thought it...3 years ago I bought my first panel van T4 ,pimped it and now I'm here...oooer
Gaz

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi fellas, I have a question;
What are these navigators like to live with? Looking at a 310 auto...just looking mind you! As they seem a big lump of bus are they as mega slow as they look? On a 2.4 what sort of mileage could one expect? Looking at older ones due to price of newer models...blimey!!! I see the logic, drive up,park up, job done. Still love my T4 but my other half is still driving me nuts.....

Any feedback appreciated.
Gaz
Hi Gaz ,

Have a navigator too , 310 rl ....came from. T4 swb with Reimo etc , love having the room !! Ideal when you pitch up and. Your there !! With wife and daughter we have so much more room to sit n chill when the weather is :(

Mine is a 2.5 tdi 102 ....so can't comment. On the 2.4 .....but others seem to have it covered .

Love mine just dont use it enough !! Mot time next week though so she's coming out of hibernation for that :)

Good luck with your hunt , there some bargains out there too

Gav. T:

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I'm only bloody 45 and I'm scared of turning into an old fogey;)

Gaz - not at all mate, You don't have to do much to make it a fun bus, rather than a pensioners wagon.

We have Marty the Camper, Gloria & even Winnie the Bago so far & think that JAR has something in mind ... Desticker it & make it your own.

Rocking up at a do in bad weather really is no problem at all ... You will have no end of visitors I can tell you !

Go for it T:

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's looking likely then! Will let you know guys, Jim, desticker deffo, personalise it a wee bit, deffo...just got to make sure the bus I buy is the right one.... you never know, you could see me and the other half at a vw event somewhere this year in a new bus, here's hoping!
Gaz

·
Registered
913 Posts
Aye, it looking like I'm going to have to sell my other vans first. Was hoping to px but it may be best if I sell my pimped T4, the Carrera Swift and the Kompact...I know, my other half has cost me a fortune! I'm thinking that the proceeds of the 3 will enable me to get a nice navigator? Seen them starting around the £14k mark? Is that about the going price for 1995 models? Guys I know nothing about these vehicles, what they are worth etc so any pointers re prices would be appreciated. I also need an auto as only have use of left arm! I'm secretly hoping that if I sell the kompact and swift that i can keep my t4? wisghul thinking i expect.
Gaz

·
Registered
286 Posts
Aye, it looking like I'm going to have to sell my other vans first. Was hoping to px but it may be best if I sell my pimped T4, the Carrera Swift and the Kompact...I know, my other half has cost me a fortune! I'm thinking that the proceeds of the 3 will enable me to get a nice navigator? Seen them starting around the £14k mark? Is that about the going price for 1995 models? Guys I know nothing about these vehicles, what they are worth etc so any pointers re prices would be appreciated. I also need an auto as only have use of left arm! I'm secretly hoping that if I sell the kompact and swift that i can keep my t4? wisghul thinking i expect.
Gaz
This is a nice automatic one. T:

£14995 http://www.wilkinsmotorcaravans.co.uk/

·
Registered
913 Posts
Is that the one on autotrader? If so then that's the one we are looking at. Just have to sell my vansfirst or if poss do a px swap?
Why is it that it takes us blokes 3 years to finally do what the other suggested in the first place?
Gaz

·
Registered
286 Posts
Is that the one on autotrader? If so then that's the one we are looking at. Just have to sell my vansfirst or if poss do a px swap?
Why is it that it takes us blokes 3 years to finally do what the other suggested in the first place?
Gaz
This is up the road from where I live. I have had a nose through the window and it looks in great condition.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi Dantheman, I've emailed this particular seller so fingers crossed that he is interested in px against my pair of campers. I so wish I'd gone down this route in the first place as I would have saved a frigging fortune:eek: Should've listened to my other half ( hate to admit that ) this is deffo the shape and style I'd be happy with I think. It still a link to the vw scene , tenuous , but still a link sort of;) If it comes to the crunch I may even sell my pimped t4 in order to get one for this year.
Gaz

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Dantheman, I've emailed this particular seller so fingers crossed that he is interested in px against my pair of campers. I so wish I'd gone down this route in the first place as I would have saved a frigging fortune:eek: Should've listened to my other half ( hate to admit that ) this is deffo the shape and style I'd be happy with I think. It still a link to the vw scene , tenuous , but still a link sort of;) If it comes to the crunch I may even sell my pimped t4 in order to get one for this year.
Gaz
Fingers crossed for you. Might be worth giving him a call. Real nice chap. I regularly have a nose in there when im passing.

41 - 60 of 158 Posts