VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have an 06 LWB T5 what I thought was a Shuttle with all the interior roof linings, lights, side doors etc.

Firstly how can I tell if it was a genuine Shuttle originally as I think this may affect the speed limits we can do.

When we bought it, it had only 3 seats across the front and the previous owners had stated that they had sold the rear seats ( all the mounts are there ) to fund a partial conversion to a day/weekend camper. The V5 states it is a 3 seat van however which makes me wonder if the vehicle type has been mis labelled by the DVLA and will this now affect speed limits and Insurance.

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have a look at this article

It's not clear cut by any means, but what the van looks like is key to speed limits. Remember the V5 lists the class of vehicle and its very hard to get it changed unless its visibily wrong.

Insurance is easier - as long as you tell them what you've got then all is good - don't rely on the description from the registration, talk to them and explain what it is and legally you're covered.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
M
Hi, we have an 06 LWB T5 what I thought was a Shuttle with all the interior roof linings, lights, side doors etc.

Firstly how can I tell if it was a genuine Shuttle originally as I think this may affect the speed limits we can do.

When we bought it, it had only 3 seats across the front and the previous owners had stated that they had sold the rear seats ( all the mounts are there ) to fund a partial conversion to a day/weekend camper. The V5 states it is a 3 seat van however which makes me wonder if the vehicle type has been mis labelled by the DVLA and will this now affect speed limits and Insurance.

Thanks.
Does the V5 state M1 (shuttle) full speed ahead! or N1 (Van) easy tiger ,

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2012 shuttle says M1 on the V5 and MPV. Which is the same as a car. If it says N1, then its probably a van that's been modified to shuttle spec.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
If the chassis number has a 2 near the start ( WVW2...) then it's built to carry people. Also, the sticker above the pedals will say something like Kombi or multi.

There are other ways to tell too. Such as welded in seat belt anchors and welded skin skins around the windows in the back.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,519 Posts
the sticker above the pedals will say something like Kombi or multi.
It will say Caravelle which confuses the ---- out of people! I assume a UK Caravelle will say Multivan.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,519 Posts
In germany a there is a shuttle-like model called a caravelle I supose
Shuttle is a VAG UK thing, everywhere else what we call a Shuttle is a Caravelle & what we call a Caravelle is a Multivan, I assume VAG UK didn't think the top spec model should be called a van! Even the UK owners handbook makes no mention of Shuttle whatsoever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts