VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Need some advise.. I've recently bought a pair of side bars from ebay which were advertised as 'Transporter T5 side bars'.

However I've just purchase a brand new T5 and asked the garage to fit the bars for me but they have advised me that the bars dont fit!!

I've been in contact with the seller and he assures me that the bars are for a T5... Does anyone know if the connection type has changed for the most recent models.

VW want £489 to fit the branded bars which I'm reluntant to pay.

I will try and attach a photo of the bars.

Thanks Mikey

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have the same side bars on my t5 mate. Took about an hour to fit. They can be quite fiddly especially getting the plastics off to fit up the subframe. Do you have any pics of this and all the fittings ? You should have a frame for the rear which is one piece wit the ends at a slight angle. Then another frame for the front which has 2 shorter bits of bar bolted to the middle. Then you should have various bolts and 2 big u shaped clamps as well

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It came with various bolts and attachments and the U bend bars.

I gave the bars to the dealership where I'm buying the Van from but was told they dont fit.

Do you think I'd be able to fit them myself? They apparently came with fitting instructions.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I fitted them without instructions in the dark. A bit fiddly but I was doing it at night with a head torch on. If you allow yourself a couple of hours in the day you will able to do it fine. I'd happily help you but I'm a bit far away. I just drove my van up onto a kerb which gave me plenty of room underneath. If you need any advice send me a pm and I will give you my pone number I can get underneath mine and take some phone pics for you tomorrow.

They are not that bad once you get going. You will have to take some of the plastic belly pans off to get access to the rear mounting points. The front fixes to the t5's subframe. The big u shaped bolts go around some big tube sections on the subframe and the threads go through per drilled holes on the mounting bar. If you lay them under the van across its width you can see where they all mount up. Mine are fitted if you look at my thread. They are nice but a bit too shiny for me now they're on. I might have to get them powder coated gun metal if I can get the plastic treads off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wicked, Thanks guys. I'll have a word with the garage and then have a crack at them myself if not.

Cheers T:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
which garage is this?

if you get stuck my mate Jim should be able to do this for you with my help I expect in Fareham on his Ramp.

Sounds like the garage can't be ars**d to fit them. I:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@T5VAN Hi Mate, That would be great. I'm in Portchester so Fareham is nice and close.

Can I get some details off you.. Cheers Mikey:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts