VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ex AA 2001 T4.

The side door generally opens OK but when it has been in the sun it is very hard to squeeze the open handle to make it open. You have to push the handle/door towards the front to be able to squeeze the handle enough to allow the mechanism to click open. One the mechanism clicks open all is OK.

It is so bad my girlfriend cant open it when the side door has been in the sun and we almost have to give up and go in the back doors. It's causing a strain on the handle.

It's the same when trying to open from the inside handle.

It's as if something is heating up and expanding making the door move back or causing friction within the mechanism.

The door runs smoothly on its bearings when it does open - so dont think that is the problem.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Any help appreciated...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Try a silicone based spray on all latches hinges etc and also in the seals. Our works van had same prob and it didn't fix it but helped loosen it.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I have an ex AA 2001 T4.

The side door generally opens OK but when it has been in the sun it is very hard to squeeze the open handle to make it open. You have to push the handle/door towards the front to be able to squeeze the handle enough to allow the mechanism to click open. One the mechanism clicks open all is OK.

It is so bad my girlfriend cant open it when the side door has been in the sun and we almost have to give up and go in the back doors. It's causing a strain on the handle.

It's the same when trying to open from the inside handle.

It's as if something is heating up and expanding making the door move back or causing friction within the mechanism.

The door runs smoothly on its bearings when it does open - so dont think that is the problem.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Any help appreciated...
The door rubber is expanding, probably find it's had a after market one fitted I: check to see if it has any air release hole if not get a small wood drill and put in one or two

1 - 3 of 3 Posts