VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

Came to open my side door today and it felt a bit stiff and made a grinding noise as I opened it.

Looked and checked and I could see a bunch of small bearings and a couple of bits of metal in the grooves.

It opens and closes just about now but it clearly not right.

Is this a repair I can do myself (bearing in mind my ahem 'skills'), would an ordinary mechanic be able to it or am I best going to a dealer for it?

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had a problem with the door not closing right and found a couple of things. Firstly, some of the bolts/fittings on the side of the door had come loose (where it aligns the door to run in the channel along the side of the van). That caused a bit of movement in the door and it marked the van paintwork. This was just a case of tightening them up but they do adjust the height of the door etc so take time to check alignment. You have to tighten from inside the sliding door so will need the panel off. It still didn't seem right so secondly I found some play on the top roller arm. I replaced this which was a simple enough job. You might need some help to hold the door weight though.

I don't know what your problem will be specifically but I'd check the top and bottom rollers. They are just bolt off/on if you examine how they work.

Good luck sorting it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts