VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a solid side glass window for the sliding door who does the cheapest as I am going to sell the van in a few months..

I didn't want a side glass for security but a buyer would I guess..

is it ebay?? any deals going down the the T5 boys and traders?

:*

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
Vansport in Penzance do some pretty good deals I thinkT:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If your going to sell the van shortly why bother, your prospective purchasers may not want a window at all :*

If they want a window let them put it in; they may want it a specific style etc, personally, I've put a slider window in the door.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
As much as I agree with you on this.. I retail to the public for my company ( fabrics and stuff ) I know the public are and can be the most fickle pains in the ass in the world.. So I want to make it look more like a camper for a buyer..

I sold a Ka two days ago to a chap.. £1100 for a really clean 02 plate car.. it was an insurance write off because the door got hit, I advertsied it for £500 less than another one that was not writen off and it was cleaner than the other one. A chap came racing round with in an hour of posting it up.. Bought it I told him every thing showed him photo's of the car when it was damaged told him it was paid out by the insurance company and that I had bought it to repair and use as a company rep car to do quotes in but I have been offered an Estate car coming off lease at the end of the month and really an estate Ford Foucs is more useful than the KA but the Ka does cost so little to run about in.. he knew it all, didn't turn up with any money to secure it , didn't know anything about cars.. but thought he did. He even didn't know what the log book was when I showed him as the new look log books are red now. He had the log book in his hand where it says it's an accident damaged car. He said they have had bad luck with cars inthe past and that they want to keep this one till it drops in 5 years or so time.. perfect.

Said it was the best one they had seen with no rust on it compaired to all the ones they had seen..

then got £100 out the cash point and then went, phoned up 1 day later wineing about it was a cat C car.. I said I went to great lenght to tell you and show you photo's you had the log book in your hand where it says it's been accident damaged I have all the mot's to show work and the miles are correct. It's £500 cheaper than anyother Ka in the area that is of the same age and that you came round so fast and basicly having been told all about the car you know f**k all about cars and buying them!!!

I don't sell my cars that often but this just shows you why I hate selling cars to the public. I restore classic cars for my hobbie and I know more than most about cars. I go to great lenghts to maintain my own cars and vans as I want them for me for the long haul so when I sell a car and some idiot comes round and does not know what the hell he is doing and moans really get my goat.. anyway that same afternoon I called back the other person that rang ( I had 5 calls on the car in 6 hours ) they came round understood all about insurance paid out cars and writen off looked at the photo's and the NEW door I put on the car, said it was the best one they had seen, said the other buyer sounded abit of a Idiot ( I didn't wait a second longer to agree with him ) and they are very happy..very happy, ok I made £160 on it.. but that is not what it was about.. had I known I was going to be offered an Estate car for a good price I wouldn't have even bothered to buy the Ka ( Dec 10 ) and done, Full service, new door and paint it, Sorted out the rust onthe sill with stone chip and paint in 2pk so it last, new Ford mud flaps so it does not get stone chips and rust there again, New rocker arms for the overhead followers so it's not sounding like a sewing machine all from FORD!!! New FORD gaskets for the Thermostat as they leak there , rocker cover and new spark plugs as people don't change them as they rust into the head.. I changed them as I wanted them new..A new Sony CD player, new mats and better condition orginal ford Ka wheel trims off a chap on ebay, new Ford Roof rack ( I kept that back in the end ), two new tyres. So you can see I wanted it for me for the longhaul.. he even accused me of being a trader ... I have to say that's when I told him to F*** off my wife was mad with rage with him.. she knows what i am like about my own personal cars as I am out in my garage all the time in my spare time.. I win shows with my classic cars!!

Just so you know I am the wrong side of 40 and for 25 years cars where known as " Insurance paid out cars " now in the last 5 or 6 years they are known as Cat ? cars...... so any youngsters that think they know it all, learn a lesson in cars here I have been around abit longer than most.. :*

anyway I digress so the last thing I need is some one going oh I want a glass in it!! it looks like a van.. I wanted no glass on the door as I sleeping in the van in central london on the side of the road!! so the last thing I needed was some idiot smashing the window in while I was sleeping there and left with a 4ft hole in the side of the van and it was -6 out side..

So I want a basic glass window to make it look more like a camper for people who don't want to sleep in a van in winter in central london I:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vansport in Penzance do some pretty good deals I thinkT:

That looks good is their any discount for being a T5 member I remember in the past some places offered a bit of a discount to us club member bods..

??? I want the whole lot, don't want to mess about... trim cleaner sealant even though I have two tubes sat on the shelf..

I have little time to mess about I want it right from the out set so I can do it next weekend.. I will post up how I did it as there are bits and bobs on the net but like what I did with the central locking issue and took the time to list it and photo it I will do the same on the window fitting as well..

T:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
Give them bell and ask, I'm pretty sure they do forum discount though

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep I just PM'd them and got a code and no you have to ask for it so I am not posting it up. But it's there for club members.

So guess what my job will be for next weekend.. I have not used the camper van in 4 months so it's a pull it out the work shop.. charge up the battery and service it, Fit the new tyres I have for it and wash her..

I have some rather nice logo's for the side of it.. I will post up these later, as I have a sign cutter for my main company if any one likes them I may sell some of them.. I don't want to post them up just yet because every copy cat in the world ( mainly ebay ) will want to copy them. I have had it happen to me before when I was into Watercooled VW's. Next thing every one was copying me :cool:

Mind you it didn't help that the lads from VW Performance mag came round and took photo's and put in a nice mag artical about what I had done and the phone went mad I couldn't make them fast enough and next thing every one else was copying my bloody idea LOL:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glass ordered and all the DIY kit and trim.. I got sent some details of another place tup north that worked out cheaper with the postage by half so it's on the way..now to get the grinder and the hole cutters out!! hopefully I will not have to be welding any metal back in hsy:

I have loads of paint sheets to cover the van before I cut so as not to put hot metal sparks every where..

Should be ok. Heck I have cut more out of classic cars before now that I have to make a wooden frames to stop them collapsing in there is so little metal left before we rebuild them back again with new..

working standing up on a flat edge is a dream..

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Happy cutting, don't forget the precise method to follow;

Don't drink too heavily the night before

Think about it

Measure and mark it out, have a brew and a fag, have another brew and a fag whilst you contemplate the destruction you are about to commence.

Measure it again

Have another fag, maybe 2 if your of nervous disposition. Test drilling / cutting machinery.

Have a towel handy to wipe the sweaty palms.

Have one last fag

Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy LOL: LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am an Engineer by trade.... don't worry I am not. T:

I will dig out some photos but I have done alot with motors over the years. From Full on Classic car resto's where there was more rotten metal in the scrap bin that what was left to work with.. Crashed cars to making panels from scratch..

Current project is this

and this is just normal tinkering work.. :ILU: nothing special..

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-T5-BONDED-Privacy-glass-n-s-side-door-/260377222036?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3c9fb11b94

well it's arrived and I am abit miffed

in fact I got abit wound up..

Ok I ordered from the above link privacy glass black what has arrived is tinted glass..

it's only when you look really close up that you can see slightly though the glass can you see the light dark green tint..

so to get full tinted glass ( LIMO as it where ) is there such a glass or do I have to window tint it

if I have been sent the wrong glass I can work that out or if that's as dark as it gets then I can add a film on and I then accept that......

can any one advise? I have done loads of tinting as I do it on houses it's just a pain.. eg another job I:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts