VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a pair of caravelle headlights to replace my single unit, I think I am settled on Phillips extreme H1s and H7s but not sure about the side light bulb? are the LED 501 Phillips extreme worth £20? anyone got them?

·
Registered
292 Posts
From my experience with side light led worth paying the extra for a decent brand , I have replaced loads that i purchased from ebay some 8 quid a pair only to replace then again weeks later because they burn out or pack up.

·
Special Rapporteur
10,168 Posts
It depends a bit on your attitude towards money, but I personally would never pay £20 for a pair of LED 501/W5W bulbs.

Sidelight bulbs need to light the whole of the reflector so they can be seen at all angles, so you don't need the ones that are massively bright pointing forwards but almost invisible when viewed from the side. There are any number of suitable replacements on Ebay and even the ones that are shipped from within the UK are typically only £4 a pair. I've replaced both the DRLs and sidelights on mine with ones costing in the range £3-5 a pair - the current ones have been in almost 2 years now without a problem.

As above, if they are going to fail they will typically do so within hours or days of fitting, so if you buy sensibly priced ones from the UK you should get your money back under Distance Selling Regs (or whatever they are called now) anyway if they are no good.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, traffic after what you said I will be going for the £6 Phillips as opposed to the Phillips £20 one TT:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts