VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dipped beams... nothing :(

Only noticed this morning when i switched the lights on, my side lights come on fine, but when i switch across again to dipped headlights nothing happens.

thought maybe the bulbs went, but ive just been to halfords, got some new extra bright jobbys fitted and nothing, same problem.
The guy then went over all my fuses for me which were all fine so now i'm stumped!

Where do i even start looking?? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Not sure of detail but surely its routed
headlight switch,
relay,
fuses,
headlight bulbs,

Can you flash the headlights ?

I think I'd be looking at the relay, as after the relay its normally a wire per side to keep current down.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure of detail but surely its routed
headlight switch,
relay,
fuses,
headlight bulbs,

Can you flash the headlights ?

I think I'd be looking at the relay, as after the relay its normally a wire per side to keep current down.
Thanks for the reply mate,
Yeah I can flash my head lights / keep the full main beams on at night. Where would I be looking for the relay pal?

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Can't be the dash switch. No relays in circuit as I understand it ( that's why the upgrade kit is popular )
Probably the stalk switch contacts. By steering wheel ?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I was looking at Brooklands manual forT4 Diesel 2000 - 2004 1.9 2.4 2.5tdi and that shows relay in wiring info, but no location info and cannot read relay number.
If relay present it ought to be near your internal fuses I'd suspect (but not certain)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at Brooklands manual forT4 Diesel 2000 - 2004 1.9 2.4 2.5tdi and that shows relay in wiring info, but no location info and cannot read relay number.
If relay present it ought to be near your internal fuses I'd suspect (but not certain)
Thanks, i'll have to have a look. And maybe also consider an upgrade kit?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a quick update, checked the relay and looks perfectly fine to me, also the electrical connections i could get at i gave a wiggle and pushed them in to see if that was the problem and i still cant find the issue!

Working early mornings and late nights as well this time of year :* cant afford to be taking the van to an auto electrics at the moment!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem solved!
Turned out to be a double fuse box in the engine bay quite far down on the battery side. Two 20 fuses melted into oblivion! Both fuses replaced and burnt out wires replaced :)

Thanks for the help! Won't be losing sleep tonight T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts