VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a look at a few aftermarket ones on line but I am still unsure of the fitting. as i run a side exit exhaust it could be fun fitting any.

anyone got pics of the rear mounting point. Or good clear words ;)

as my options are buy and modify. custom order.... or make my own.

not sure which to do. the first may be the easyist but...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
have a look at the rear suspension where the front part mounts just behind the sill lip there is a hole in the front part of the mount they are bolted through that hole. if you search for side bars on here in all the threads there is a set of drawings with all the sizes and the mounting points are shown.

·
Registered
931 Posts
have a look at the rear suspension where the front part mounts just behind the sill lip there is a hole in the front part of the mount they are bolted through that hole. if you search for side bars on here in all the threads there is a set of drawings with all the sizes and the mounting points are shown.
I've got the address for the website on my laptop. I'll post it in a bit

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thanks for the drawings. Will have a real look after the drive back to Germany. But a quick look seems to show what I am after.

Might need to make a side rail with an opening for an exhaust.....
I did see a photo on here somewhere where someone had shortened the rail on the exhaust side and mounted the exit pipe further back, just infront of the tyre. Just a thought.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a side exit (PPTuning) exhaust and have the same issue. They used to make 'close fit' side bars but haven't made any for ages - these looked like they would fit with the exhaust angled down slightly.
I'm trying to get a look at some side bars so I can see if the brackets can be altered but most of the bars I've seen are 'fat' and chrome and I'm after thin and black!

There's definitely a market out there for a company to make side bars suitable for side exit exhausts - anyone??

Steve

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
having looked at some drawings it seems that they are mounted with the body attachments at sill level and at center point on the bar so they will hang down by the radius of the bar. not much good when the exhaust is a 1mm or 2 off the sill.

Looks like i will be doing two things, buying used and scaloping them and making a custom outlet to reduce the depth needed for the exhaust. or may be just one... Dont know yet.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mmm differtent fittings to the one above or have you missed out some mounting bracket?

it seems that whatever i do i will be remaking the exhaust or atleast the tip.

no pics of them mounted at the rear? and how flush with the bottom of the sills are they?

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Mmm differtent fittings to the one above or have you missed out some mounting bracket?

it seems that whatever i do i will be remaking the exhaust or atleast the tip.

no pics of them mounted at the rear? and how flush with the bottom of the sills are they?
hi mate, dont have a t4 in stock at the min, so cant fit a set a set to show you im afraid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts