VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my door side window fitted today. But the strip they put on to tidy the edge up is only on one of the door skins! So there's a panel in between the edging and window.

My other one is over both!

What's the practise for this ?

The skins seem to have been bent a part and I don't want to put touch pressure on it to get it together as the window has just been bonded.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
314 Posts
There is a strip of bond between the 2 skins, awkward to knife out, they have obviously fitted the window the quick way, we always remove the bond and knock the panels together and then fit rubber edging strip over both panels, the way you have is pointless as you still see the cut edge. Only way to resole is to remove glass, fit strip and refit.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
There is a strip of bond between the 2 skins, awkward to knife out, they have obviously fitted the window the quick way, we always remove the bond and knock the panels together and then fit rubber edging strip over both panels, the way you have is pointless as you still see the cut edge. Only way to resole is to remove glass, fit strip and refit.
We have seen quite a few examples of window fitting lately without any dressing to the cut edge or even treating the cut metal....we even had one in where you couldnt tell what they had used to cut the window out...it may have been a pit bull terrier:eek::eek:.
Personally we only fit windows when we are carpet lining, and then we carpet over the opening - I think if you are going to put a rubber trim on, then you need to think about bonding the skins closer together, but its not going to be a quick job.
The trouble is, there are plenty of people quoting windows fitted at £50 fitting charge, but you cant expect a job at this price to be done properly.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
You can purchase an o ring bead that slots onto the outer skin and finishes neatly between the outer and inner seal. Personally I'd never remove factory bonding when installing a window as the panel distortion that can be caused may create a problem with the window sealing. T4s are a bit different as you have to remove the bonding usually depending on the age of the vehicle. Also a t5 has a central strengthing rib that gets removed and requires serious panel beating to dress it. Can't see
Anyone paying me £400 to fit a single fixed window........ Carpet or finishing Strips are the only neat solution.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ive had exactly the same today! £70 down :( however I am going to make a wooden surround and carpet it and hopefully it will look more finished.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts