VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

Ive looked at loads of pics/threads on fitting "Bond in" side windows & alot of folk mention taking out the original VW sealant between the outer skin & inner panel skins

on our van its a good 1/4 thick & feels pretty solid is there any reason to remove/leave it in & if removed could it all be clamped together on spot welded to give it all a permanent fix,,,plus iam wanting to fit the two side windows with out the outer rubber trim:cool:

does that mean i just need a inner trim or again could i fit the glass then carpet right up to the edge or will this look sh:*t,,,,any pics advice T::)

thanks Rick

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rick, if its done correctly you need to remove all the sealer then fix the panels together, also it shouldnt have a internal trim

thanks for the picture buddyA:T:,,,so that means you can trim the carpet right up to the inner panel edge or what ever takes ya fancy,,,,,,when ever Ive seen the knock on type inner trims Ive always thought they looked a bit DIY"Y if that makes sense,,,its all starting to make sense nowT:

·
Registered
362 Posts
def take the stuff out and clamp the panels together, i like things to look nice
i didn't clamp mine i just pumped them up with sikaflex now i hate myself every time i look at the monstrosity

(there not that bad, im over reacting but i will punish myself later for it)
that does look nice though first glass, just goes to show why its worth paying a pro to do em

·
Registered
362 Posts
ok i could do with a little bit ( otherwise ill have to learn the hard way:)) how much of a bugger are they to get back out so that i can re do mine, and any tips to do it?:D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
def take the stuff out and clamp the panels together, i like things to look nice
i didn't clamp mine i just pumped them up with sikaflex now i hate myself every time i look at the monstrosity

(there not that bad, im over reacting but i will punish myself later for it)
that does look nice though first glass, just goes to show why its worth paying a pro to do em
,,,,,yeah know what you mean about niggles like that they drive me :*potty too,,,but thats what happens if your a perfectionist like we areT:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
If you are fitting non sliding windows you can leave the sealer in there. Use a thinner bead of bonder than normal, the rubber seal around the window will fit snugly in the hole and won't leave a gap.

If you are fitting sliding windows you'll need to take it out as the sliding window will not fit into the hole with the sealer there and it will sit proud and there will be a horrible gap between window and van

Well thats what I found

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts