VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

With the van running sweet after my recent fiasco, it's time to get a side window fitted.
I'd like to get a sliding privacy glass window.

I've searched and read a huge amount of threads (still quite possible I've missed something), but still can't seem to find any recommendations for anywhere in London where I could get this done.

I just refuse to believe there is no where in the capital of England that doesn't do this.

I know of TidyTransporters (now TidyCampers for the window fitting), but they are a little too far.
Someone mentioned middlesexmotorcaravans.co.uk, but they want £425ish which seems to be around £125 more than most other people.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! T:

Many thanks people,

S

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Meatball. T4world is still a good hour and 20mins drive.

I know it isn't really that far, but I'm still sure there must be something in London.

I'll definitely keep James in mine, in the mean time the quest continues.

:)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Just in case it helps Stevie, I was surprised how easy it was to fit a van side sliding window. I found a type I could pop rivet in place, so it was just a case of cutting the hole (jigsaw), squidging sealant on, rivetting in place and pressing a covering strip over the pop rivet channel. Window silvering film did the privacy trick.

That was on a Merc van, not a T4 - it took me 2 hours. That's 10 years ago and it's not leaked in the slightest + loads more secure than the normal fit windows. The only thing I'd change would be to properly masking tape the area before cutting.. my jigsaw base scratched the paint in a couple of places but that was no drama.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
oh, the sunroof was the same too. was really simple. just google camper van windows probably.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, this is an idea I've been mulling over, but to be honest, for about £100 extra I'm willing to let someone else do it. Much less time and cursing on my part!

But saying that, if I can't find anyone really near, I might end up doing it :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yeah, this is an idea I've been mulling over, but to be honest, for about £100 extra I'm willing to let someone else do it. Much less time and cursing on my part!

But saying that, if I can't find anyone really near, I might end up doing it :)
Look for a Caravelle sliding window - they bolt in and are made for the job - they often come up on ebay and you can easily tint them yourself before fitting them........

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look for a Caravelle sliding window - they bolt in and are made for the job - they often come up on ebay and you can easily tint them yourself before fitting them........
Is that what you have on your van?

And as a side question, what method did you use to cut the panel out?

Cheers,

S

·
Registered
834 Posts
Is that what you have on your van?

And as a side question, what method did you use to cut the panel out?

Cheers,

S
My current van is a Caravelle but my previous had a Caravelle window which I fitted myself. To cut the corner radii I used a hole cutter intended for fitting recessed ceiling lights then joined them up with an angle grinder - there's a 'how to' on here somewhere.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts