·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to try and do mine over the weekend fancy helping as your just down the road??

well you may want to see how it's done and I may want to have a hand as I have never done it before ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Mate,

I have bought a set of windows from KIRAVANS and are looking at fitting them myself. I have just posted on the T5 section about conflicting advice. Let me know how yours goes. A build log would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just going to do what they do it's almost what I was planning anyway..but putting on the trim first was not on my list but I am doing that..

any one post a pic of their van window from the inside looking out as then I can see the lip edge then the rest I will make up..

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All done T:

very chuffed.. not as bad as I thought really I did look at lots of photo's of peoples first and I am a photo follower rather than read lots..

I over come though!!

My jig saw snapping a blade, the only one I had for metal ( tool station local thank god!!

My wifes car having a flat tyre on the way back from Tool station

Cutting into the van and one of my tenants calls to talk about an issue that has been going on for 3 weeks and nothing I can do about it 1 as it's Sunday 2 it's the building maintenance issue not me as the landlord.. water leaking into the caverty..

Then just as I am happy with the cut out the trim does not cover two bits of metal as it's ment to it only goes over one !!!

then Rain..

then F****ING HALE STORM !!! WTF was all that about!!!!:mad:

anyway I managed to cover the van enough to work under a blue awning I made for it in the summer just gone thank god I did !!!

so here we have it..

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
sorry i'll take the roof off a house and cut a complete new one,
but still not got the bottle to cut a hole in the side of my 9K van :eek:
Three Bridge is doing mineT:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well done matey!
Only just caught up on this thread, if i could, I would come and helped out! When you are you doing the other side?

Braver than me for going for it!

Same as GaryJ ,I'm going to be a pussy and pay someone to do mine :p

·
Registered
203 Posts
http://www.kiravans.co.uk/index.php?/bonded-windows-for-VW-T5-vans.html

just seen this link and I am mighty impressed...

only have one question really how much of a V do you sqeeze out with the silaflex stuff.. " V " depth wise? 12mm deep??
Thanks for the positive feedback T:- must remember to take some more pictures sometime and fill in the blanks for you. With regard to size of the adhesive bead - the Winbond adhesive is supplied with a precut nozzle with a V in it & a little stick poking out the end as a guide so you get a nice uniform bead depth all the way around.
Rob
www.kiravans.co.uk

·
Registered
87 Posts
hey im thinking of doing my windows soon did u use the inside of the van as a guide line or did u cut through it as well ? and did u use the silicon kinda stuff to use as the bond?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought a kit with it all in and used their stuff, it's siloflex anyway but the stuff they use to clean and bond the screen you can't buy on it's own but it's no great issue..

I cut into it first and made a square hole, then I took that out to be able to see the inside and then used that as a guide. The rest was easy.. been in a few weeks now and no issues what so ever makes it easy to drive with the extra view as my wife says..

next van will have windows both sides..

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i'm going to be doing this again soon for two windows, I have learn the glue is slightly different to Silkafex. But not by much the Kirvans site is doing a good deal on the windows at the mo I noticed and the whole kit for sealant and trim etc etc. Worth a bell for the bits as they do show you how to do it..

it is quite simple to do just take you time I will next time use a hole saw in the corners.. it's still the same effect as a drilled hole but neater and prob quicker..

if any one wants to come and give a hand or see how's it's done T:

going to order this

http://www.kiravans.co.uk/index.php?/DIY-window-fitting-equipment/Winbond-fitting-kit-for-1-window.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts