VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All....I am new here and thought I would just warn anyone having side windows fitted...I found a fitter that would fit my side windows at my home, It was raining when he cut the panels out, He told me to wash the van off after 24 hours to wash off the dust from cutting, anyway I was worried about leaving it that long so after a couple of hours I washed the van over. The next day much to my horror my spotless white van was covered in rust spots!! I have now spent the last three days polishing the van! I have managed to remove 99% of the marks,but some of the very small metal pieces have imbedded in to the paint! so please don't let you fitted fit your windows in the rain..:(

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi All....I am new here and thought I would just warn anyone having side windows fitted...I found a fitter that would fit my side windows at my home, It was raining when he cut the panels out, He told me to wash the van off after 24 hours to wash off the dust from cutting, anyway I was worried about leaving it that long so after a couple of hours I washed the van over. The next day much to my horror my spotless white van was covered in rust spots!! I have now spent the last three days polishing the van! I have managed to remove 99% of the marks,but some of the very small metal pieces have imbedded in to the paint! so please don't let you fitted fit your windows in the rain..:(
who did you use? name and shame!!I:

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
ow thats not so good:eek: for t4's we use an air nibbler, the nibbler works like a hole punch but a lot faster and spits out half moons similar to a paper hole punch, On a t5 we use a 4" grinder with a cutting disc, the particals do tend to stick to the van which is why we use a full cover (a very big bin liner) as it only takes hours for "spots" to appear.

dinkydvd you are more than welcome to pop up and we will remove the last of the spots with a machine polisher (mop) for you.

Cheers

Will

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys...Found him him on ebay
I was at work at the time so not sure about primer, my wife said he moved the van away from next doors car as he did not want to get the dust from the Grinder on his car!! Thanks for the offer Will,but you are a bit to far away....More albow greese I guess:*

·
Registered
130 Posts
Might be too late, but you could use detailing clay to remove the metal particles that are embedded in the paint. Otherwise the danger is you lift them while polishing and then swirl them across the paint.

Never done it myself, but it seems to be all the rage on detailingworld.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeh Stew I did think about that,But as I said I have manage to get 99% off, and were I have polished there is no sign of scratching to the paint...Still got the roof to do yet! that will be fun:*

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Yeh Stew I did think about that,But as I said I have manage to get 99% off, and were I have polished there is no sign of scratching to the paint...Still got the roof to do yet! that will be fun:*
no worries, Yeah there wont be any scratching just spots, Get your self some g3 for the bit's that wont shift with normal polish:ILU:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts