VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought I'd throw this up in case any one was thinking about fitting side windows.
Cut out the side panels yesterday

Tools required
67mm hole saw
Drill and screwdriver bits
Jigsaw
Masking tape
Piece of lath (wood)
Pencil
1/8 drill bit

First thing masked area around panels, went inside van, put closed end of hole saw up against inside panel. Held it to each round of of inner skin panel. Then marked the center of hole saw on panel to be cut out at each corner round.
Drilled a small hole using 1/8 bit through each center marked. Should have taken pictures to show this anyway.
Went to outside and drilled out 4 67mm holes using hole saw.

Ended up with this

and on other side on inside view

Then drew a line from outer edge of each hole. I worked out where the base plate of the jig saw would run and screwed a piece of wood along this line.

I ran jig saw between the holes using the wood to keep the saw straight

Repeated this for the other 3 cuts using shorter guides for the upright cuts.
Then repeated all of above for other side. Ended up with nice clean cut. I filed off any rough splinters with a file and then put primer and paint on the cut edge to stop rust.

Then I cheated. I got a windscreen fitter to bond in the glass for meLOL:
for this i was charged 50 euros. Now it looks like this

I think a jig saw is the way to go. It is easy to control and does not cause sparks inside the van. Also the grinder would have melted the paint around the cuts.

Hope this inspires. Boy what a long postI:

·
Registered
394 Posts
8ball the windows look great budA: i dnt have the nerve to cut my panels out but gonna have to get it done so the kids can see outLOL: ...where did you get your windows?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
8ball the windows look great budA: i dnt have the nerve to cut my panels out but gonna have to get it done so the kids can see outLOL: ...where did you get your windows?
Got mine in VW dealer, they seem to be the cheapest for them. Also tint etc matches other glass.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Cheers mate ill have to price them up ....your van looks the biz with them fittedA:....that looks a lovely spot where the photos have been taken!T:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am scared to even try it 8 Ball but looks fab, is tinted glass available from VW, not limo just a bit darker? how are you going to finish the inside panels, this job will cost me €400 to get done in Kildare, you have me thinking now.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers mate ill have to price them up ....your van looks the biz with them fittedA:....that looks a lovely spot where the photos have been taken!T:
It's a nice spot alright. Surf is good too. Must pm you the location:)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am scared to even try it 8 Ball but looks fab, is tinted glass available from VW, not limo just a bit darker? how are you going to finish the inside panels, this job will cost me €400 to get done in Kildare, you have me thinking now.
I think there are different tints available. I just stuck with standatd tint, I was going to tint
them myself but I think I'll leave it now. Roll of tint for saleLOL:
I'm going to panel and carpet the inside with ply and light grey carpet, Hopefully at the weekend.
400 euros...that's nuts it cost me about 180 euros. Go for itT:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah useful piece of kit. How did you finish your inside around windows?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I bought windows and fitting kit from vansport.They supplied a rubber strip for the lip.I also ran a thin bead of black tiger seal between the lip and outer skin so shes solid.If I were to do it again I wouldnt use as much bond between the window and outer panel.Mine slightly sits out so its not 100% flush but I didnt want to spare the bond either.Dont want to be out driving and hear the window popping out behind me when I'm bombing around the back roads.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fitted this Recaro out of an Evo something on Friday night. Cant wait to fit the p/side.
Door handles are off to paint black.

Done some more work in the back, boxed arches and done some more carpeting yesterday

Finally today I stuck in some more gauges.

Also had a go at tinting the side windows, that I have no pictures because if I even had a camera when I was doing that job I would have thrown It as far as I could:bhd:bhd along with the roll of tint film. Did I say I hate tinting windows :*:*:*:*:*:*

Definitely getting a pro to do it this week.....

Is there any end to the mods you can make to these vans?

My wives next mod might be to get a divorceLOL: I:

·
Registered
441 Posts
van looks great, how much did the windows cost from V.W, in the republic or the north? Has any one turned their van into a crew cab, need some tips to get it done, who would fit seats with a cert for the insurance?? all help appreciated as i finally got my vanH:A:cheers guys

·
Registered
737 Posts
Good work matey, Ive a pair of sliders from a Caravelle that I intend to fit to my van but as yet havn't garnered enough info and technique from previous threads. Looking at your step by step guide has given my renewed confidence to give it a go. Thanks for taking the time to show us your work.

Nice one Cyril.

Mike.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
van looks great, how much did the windows cost from V.W, in the republic or the north? Has any one turned their van into a crew cab, need some tips to get it done, who would fit seats with a cert for the insurance?? all help appreciated as i finally got my vanH:A:cheers guys
Thanks speedygirl, windows were about 50 euros each from VW in the south. Would be cheaper up north! I paid another 50 euros to get them bonded in.
I have finished the interior now and will be fitting rear seats soon, so I will post some pics when I get it done. I'm going to get an independant engineer to do a safety report on my seats for insurance purposes.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Where's the hazard button from, given that you replaced the original big one with the pressure gauge ?

/M

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi marlow.
hazard switch from an 02 Passat, 20 euros plus vat at dealer.
Simple mod.

Hi Gerryk,
I aint going to be paying vrt, just going to remove the seats when van going for DOE.
I will get them approved/ certified for insurance. After that I'm going to chance my armH:

Having difficulty getting seats with seat belts:(

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
hazard switch from an 02 Passat, 20 euros plus vat at dealer.
Simple mod.
Sound. I'm also looking for a few more switches of other kinds, as I have switches to switch my amp off.

Having difficulty getting seats with seat belts:(
I'm going to replace the seats in my Caravelle, so if you want some, we probably can make a deal. This is going out in the next few months:

2 seater bench front (LHD) with 1 seatbelt in the center.
2 seater bench center (LH side) with seatbelts.
1 seater center (RH side) with seatbelts. (gonna replace them with single multi-van seats, that have seatbelts already.)
3 seater bench rear (this is not going to go out before spring or so and probably not getting rid of seatbelts there).

/M

1 - 20 of 32 Posts