VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I right in thinking that it's sikaflex 291 i want? to be used in general tasks like sealing the floor, some insulation,etc.

Wher do you guys pick it up from? what sort of price? does it fit in a normal skeleton gun? and whats the shelf life like (once opened)

I think that is possibly as many questions as i can think of to ask about sealent - If i think of any more i'll let you know!! LOL:

·
Registered
606 Posts
It's great stuff, hard to get off so be careful, shelf life when open is not very long, a couple of weeks or so. from memory it's about £8 a tube, and last time I bought it was from a paint & chemical suppliers, but I have got it from marine chandlers before now.
I thought it was Sikaflex 221? could be wrong though...

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
Am I right in thinking that it's sikaflex 291 i want? to be used in general tasks like sealing the floor, some insulation,etc.

Wher do you guys pick it up from? what sort of price? does it fit in a normal skeleton gun? and whats the shelf life like (once opened)

I think that is possibly as many questions as i can think of to ask about sealent - If i think of any more i'll let you know!! LOL:
291 is good for most things you describe probably won't need it for the insulation that should just wedge in (lots of thoughts about that in my build in the T4 SWB section about page 3 now)

costs between £7 and £10 can be brought from all chandlers or off internet the caravan version 512 which is simlar can be from caravan type shops Rasp:

more details on sikaflex in post 7 on the link below

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62708

Shelf life varies I normally get no more than one month out of a tube with a nail shoved in the end, goes pretty hard after a week if you are not careful.

Remember CT 1 (my personal choice) and tigerseal are to all intense and purpose the same.

As long as you do not go for a sausage pack they fit in a normal skelton gun.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts

Get some Tigerseal instead: Long shelf life, sticks like S**t to a blanket T:

easy to get hold of (ebay)

hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Or you could try Sikaflex EBT, available from your local Screwfix.

Comparing the 2 products data sheets between EBT and 252 and the only major difference I can see is that the "Service temperature" quoted for the EBT is 10 degrees less ( 80 degrees C instead of 90) then the 252 stuff, hardly a concern for our use. I wouldn't be surprised that it comes off the same production line and uses exactly the same chemical composition

Also it appear to be available in an extra colour (grey) as well as black & white.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79299/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealants/All-Weather-Sealants/Sika-Sikaflex-EBT-Adhesive-Black-300ml

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
Or you could try Sikaflex EBT, available from your local Screwfix.

Comparing the 2 products data sheets between EBT and 252 and the only major difference I can see is that the "Service temperature" quoted for the EBT is 10 degrees less ( 80 degrees C instead of 90) then the 252 stuff, hardly a concern for our use. I wouldn't be surprised that it comes off the same production line and uses exactly the same chemical composition

Also it appear to be available in an extra colour (grey) as well as black & white.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79299/Sealants-Adhesives/Sealants/All-Weather-Sealants/Sika-Sikaflex-EBT-Adhesive-Black-300ml
Aren't we talking about 291 (512) ??

252 is different to these two as is EBT, (EBT I do not know as it is a building product) 252 works better as an adhesive 291 / 512 are better as multi purpose sealant adhesives.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Aren't we talking about 291 (512) ??

252 is different to these two as is EBT, (EBT I do not know as it is a building product) 252 works better as an adhesive 291 / 512 are better as multi purpose sealant adhesives.
Good point I think I will go back into my workshop and play with my "Inverse Flux Capacitor"...:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts