VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, once again apologies for my constant pop top questions and a big thanks for all those who have helped me so far, I'll hopefully group all my pop top posts into one post once I'm finished for future reference should anyone else ever need help T:

Is silicon sealer OK to seal around the base of the tent - I've purchased some Dow Corning weather seal, looking at the spec its water/UV resistane, can flex upto 50% and suitable for porous and non porus surfaces - but I'm sure I read silicon sealer isn't good for paint/bodywork?

If not what is the alternative?

Many Thanks (againI:)

·
Registered
587 Posts
MVMs Polyurethane adhesive / sealant in grey is the DBs for this job and all other jobs. Brilliant stuff and was only £3.50 a tube when I bought it around April time.....................

J

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Sorry to bang on with Reimo related answers, but its what I fit and I can only draw on their experience....anyway, their kit does come with scilicone sealant for the tent, but it definitely doesnt have the strong acetic acid smelll normally associated with scilicone. I will have a look at a tube tomorrow to see what it says.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I am not sure a polyeurethane adhesive is the best thing to use. The sealant on the roof tent is only there to prevent water being driven under the canvas where it is clamped to the roof. If you use a PE adhesive, this will be rediculously difficult to remove if you ever need to replace the canvas. At least with scilicone, you can remove it if needed.
As far as seling is concerned, unless you are a sealant gun expert, I would mask the tent and roof to get a neat line. By running your finger down the joint it will press the thin side of the join cleanly into the canvas and give a good waterproof and flexible join.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll go with the silicon I have brought. It's Dow Corning so good quality and reading the specs seems very suitable. I also think the PU would be too permanent possibly. I'm getting a pro round to do mine, I'm ok with the fitting and cutting bits but I tend to get in a right mess with anything "wet"!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts