VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just spent the whole day fitting a Silicon alarm with central locking, boot popper, one touch window module with auto closer and electric windows on my 1997 T4.
I purchased a deluxe kit from Travelin Lite on ebay.

The instructions were pretty comprehensive but fell short in relation to the Immobiliser and windows.

For the most part it was straight forward, running the cables was the hardest part to do correctly.

I purchased a set of bellows from the scrapper which was the proper job.

I went the whole nine yards and soldered the spliced wiring joints.

The other problem was the looms packed with the kit to go to the A pillar for the the sliding door was very short but I got around that by using the extra wire from the drivers side (thats where I placed the one touch window system.)

If any one needs advice or help I would be more then willing to discuss any problems.

The alarm controls the boot popper and central locking as well as closing the windows if they are open when the alarm is activated.

I have to say I am very happy with the finish and quality and ease of fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have just bought one of these kits (minus window kit) for my 96 T4 Caravelle.from the same guys as you did looks a decent enough bit of kit for the money.Do you have any handy tips re fitting of the kit? anything to help with trim removal would be great (A post trims for the ultrasonics) basically I dont want to break anything and/or remove anything I dont need to.Whereabouts did you fit the alarm/c locking module.The only thing I noticed in my kit is that I got 2 green/yellow central locking wires (that plug into the main unit) and 1 extra coil of dark green wire I can not account for when reading through the instructions/diagrams.Any help/pointers would be great...oh and I take it the bellows are what slip over the central locking solenoids?Thanks a lot in advance..Nick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I have just bought one of these kits (minus window kit) for my 96 T4 Caravelle.from the same guys as you did looks a decent enough bit of kit for the money.Do you have any handy tips re fitting of the kit? anything to help with trim removal would be great (A post trims for the ultrasonics) basically I dont want to break anything and/or remove anything I dont need to.Whereabouts did you fit the alarm/c locking module.The only thing I noticed in my kit is that I got 2 green/yellow central locking wires (that plug into the main unit) and 1 extra coil of dark green wire I can not account for when reading through the instructions/diagrams.Any help/pointers would be great...oh and I take it the bellows are what slip over the central locking solenoids?Thanks a lot in advance..Nick

Hi Nick,

I fitted the control module behind the main fuse box. This allowed me to me to connect neatly to the fuse board for the ground connections and for the indicators and positive permanent and when ignition on. It also allowed me to fit the LED diode and override switch.

The green wire in the box is for running from the "trunk release (Boot release) wire of the alarm through the relay supplied and to the boot popper in the tailgate (presuming you have one).
If you do have a boot popper I would discard the green wire and run a two core wire to the rear boot as there is no place to get a good ground on the boot (I tried and failed). This is because of the hinges being the only source of a ground.

As far as the trim goes, I had to remove the two door panels, the panel on the sliding door, the panel on the boot,
the glove box and fuse box. The underside of the steering column and the plate that goes from the steering column to the fuse box . The two front plastic pillar sections and the headliner panel.

A good trick is to use the ziplock bags from the alarm to mark and put in screws and fittings for easy replacement.

1. Remove Door panels. clip off pull handle gently. use something flat to release clips then pull handle towards you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry laptop froze.

When fitting the contacts for the sliding side door make sure you prime/paint any bare metal. I ran my wiring for the A pillar up the left side of the front window and across the roof and down into the A Pillar. I didn't seem to have enough length on the wiring loom I was given so I cut off the excess from the drivers side and used that with suitable connectors. I think they expect you to run the wire along the floor and into the a pillar. I think this is unadvisable.

There maybe plastic covers over the lock mechanisim on the front doors. You can remove them some people just yank them out.
I removed the lock mechanisim and cut the plastic to facilitate the actuator rod.

I ran my wiring for the boot popper up the right hand side of the front window and along the inside of the roof then down a channel to the hinge of the boot. I then ran it down the boot bellow to the solinoid.

Oh to answer your question, Bellows are the rubber accordian like things that goes between the door and the body. I had to pick some up from a scrap dealer as my van did not have any. If you don't have any I would strongly advise getting some. They reduce noise and allow for the door to open and close without damage to the wires.

When removing the headliner take you time. They are brittle. Maybe even get some one to hold it when you take it off. Process is take off all plastic pillar covers the take light out then remove sun visors. it should pull out easily.

The green and white wires might have to be trial and error. I think from my experience one is for a one touch system which I put in mine and the other is for just straight connection to the central locking wiring. Work backwards from the locking actuators then wiring and finally wiring the alarm module.

Make sure you use lots of cable ties especially for the wiring in the doors and boot

I am still trying to work out exactly where to place the ultra sonic sensors. I currently have the shock sensor mounted to the steering column and the two ultra sonics in the headliner pointing down. I am just contemplating drilling the dash to mount them lower not sure yet.

The good news is that the alarm works well although it does have its annoyances. The re-arm feature is a tad annoying it locks the doors after 30 secs so If you are getting shopping from the car it starts beeping and locking doors. I think it is pretty programable though I just have not had a second to tweek it yet.

Apologies I have done a bit of rambling but do not hesitate to ask for any help if you get stuck.

I can PM my number if you need it.

Shane

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Shane. Thats a great rundown thank you very much I never gave the bellow affairs a second thought just been out to check and no I dont have any just the plastic caps so will source some asap.I will be hopefully fitting the system in a week or two.Not 100% sure I fancy removing the headlining in my Caravelle due to the rear vents/ducts etc but will see how I go.I will drop you a messgage if I get stuck or even how I`m getting along.Thank you very much for taking the time to do a thorough rundown and some extra hints its very much appreciated I will print them out and use alongside the instructions supplied with the system..cheers Nick T:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Has anyone got a t4 specific wiring diagram for this alarm as I have a system to fit but no diagram !!!
Please help .
If you PM me your email address, I have the complete installation instructions for the central locking and alarm kit from Travelin Lite as a PDF. My instructions were incomplete so they emailed this to me. Is there a way to upload documents on here? I will post it for everyone if there is?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I fitted the control module behind the main fuse box. This allowed me to me to connect neatly to the fuse board for the ground connections and for the indicators and positive permanent and when ignition on. It also allowed me to fit the LED diode and override switch.
Make sure you fit the earths in different locations and make them look as OEM as possible, with most imobilisers, cutting the earth disables them and if its obvious which the earth is, then its pointless having an alarm - I got called out to a mk3 golf the other week with a VW dealer fit alarm/imobiliser - once I removed the undertray it took me 3s to find and cut the earth wire, which defeated the alarm/imobiliser and the car started again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you PM me your email address, I have the complete installation instructions for the central locking and alarm kit from Travelin Lite as a PDF. My instructions were incomplete so they emailed this to me. Is there a way to upload documents on here? I will post it for everyone if there is?
Pm sent !

·
Registered
256 Posts
I finally tried to install my kit today. I have put the actuator into the drivers door and connected all the wiring. I wanted to test if the system works before doing all the other doors. When I connect the battery, the locks go mental! They lock, unlock, lock, unlock etc continuously.

I can't imagine that this is because the other doors aren't connected. I haven't connected the indicators yet but everything else has been wired up.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this? I was thinking it could be something along the lines of the actuator not extending fully so retracting again. A bit like electric windows do when there is an obstruction. The actuator definitely moves when I lock/unlock the door but the rod is a bit tight going past the cross member in the door.

shanedublin - did you have any problems with the rods? are they tight where mine are?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally tried to install my kit today. I have put the actuator into the drivers door and connected all the wiring. I wanted to test if the system works before doing all the other doors. When I connect the battery, the locks go mental! They lock, unlock, lock, unlock etc continuously.

I can't imagine that this is because the other doors aren't connected. I haven't connected the indicators yet but everything else has been wired up.

Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this? I was thinking it could be something along the lines of the actuator not extending fully so retracting again. A bit like electric windows do when there is an obstruction. The actuator definitely moves when I lock/unlock the door but the rod is a bit tight going past the cross member in the door.

shanedublin - did you have any problems with the rods? are they tight where mine are?
I had no problems with the actuators or the actuator rods. Did you take the hard clear plastic off the back of the locks ? The only thing I would say would to be to check simple things like the live is not connected to a pulse live connection on fuse board. That the wires are connected properly. That the doors are closed when you press the lock on Alarm. I had to double check everything due to the amount of wires and connections. If you need any wiring larified let's me know. Best of luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
After sending the day finishing the installation, I found the problem. I was using the connection on the side of the module which is for a three door setup. I needed to use the wires in the loom for the connection to the relay. That's the one for a four door setup.

Everything works fine except the hazards don't flash. I took the feeds from under the steering column, the black/white and the black/green. I used some cheap scotch block connectors so I suspect they are crappy and haven't pierced the wires enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should have said the colours in the instructions for the indicators are incorrect well it was on my 1.9 TD I just used a tester with a needle point turn on the indicators to find the correct wires and hey presto.

If I get a chancenI will have a look to see what colour they are.

·
Registered
256 Posts
They're the colours I thought. It was the crappy scotch blocks that I used.

Did you have and problems connecting up the rear door? The lock on mine isn't like the picture in the instructions. I've managed to get it connected but it prevents me from opening the rear door once connected. I think I need to trim down the bent piece that sits in the white clip that you put into the lock?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, would you be able to email me a copy of the PDF, it would be great help if you could!
Many thanks
Dave
[email protected]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi their I bought this kit but the fobs don't seem to want to talk to the module I have since been told they need pairing up does anybody have instructions to do this

1 - 20 of 28 Posts