VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. Very new to this forum. We've been long term fans of VW's (particularly aircooled), but having now been priced out of the Split / Bay market, we've just bought our first T4. It's an ex Police caravelle, recently resprayed silver. It's lowered as you can see, and has 18" boots.

We bought it as pretty much an empty shell, just carpet and two front captain seats.

Our plan is the typical cabinets / worktop down the off-side and a 3/4 rock'n'roll bed with 3-point seatbelts for the kids. The upholstery will be leather / faux leather and the cabinets will be gloss red with a white worktop. We're also thinking of putting in a fridge .

The flooring is the original caravelle carpet as underlay / insulation with 12mm ply on top, and some rather snazzy tiled affect lino to finish. This is going to match quite nicley the silver / black check bra that we've ordered.

We've started to install 10 blue 12v LED's in the roof. Normal lighting will be via 2 or 3 wall mounted directional lamps.

The dash is going to be replaced as it's been pretty badly scarred.

Really keen to get this project finished and rolling. We only started 3 evenings ago, so we think it's going quite well so far. Thanks for looking :ILU:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks good!
How did you do the carpeting on the sliding door? Going to deal with that next, but not sure how it will turn out. Pictures??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good!
How did you do the carpeting on the sliding door? Going to deal with that next, but not sure how it will turn out. Pictures??
Cheers. I've lined the original caravelle sliding door panel. I haven't fitted it yet as I'm going to take the door off to to do that. Looks a bit tricky trying to fit it in-situ.

Also, I'm going to line the top half of the sliding door as well, so it'll be easier to do with the door off.

Here's a pic of the panel, and some update pics of today's work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, your conversion is looking good and coming along very quickly!
Where did you get your lino from? I've been looking for something sililiar.

thanks

Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, your conversion is looking good and coming along very quickly!
Where did you get your lino from? I've been looking for something sililiar.

thanks

Chris
Cheers :D

I bought it yesterday from B&Q. 2m x 3m for £47. Used the caravelle carpet as a template. Put the ply down on top of the carpet, screwed down; covered the countersunk screws with silicone, then lino'd over the top. A lot easier than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Where did you get the leds from and what are your plans/wiring ideas. I am putting a few in mine shortly but not sure how many etc and how to switch them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sorry not meaning to critise, intrigued actually, is it actually a caravelle?? only reason I ask is that every caravelle I have seen has windows all round and i think they have twin sliders dont they?? look forward to being corrected. :ILU:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Where did you get the leds from and what are your plans/wiring ideas. I am putting a few in mine shortly but not sure how many etc and how to switch them.
B&Q again. Blue LEDs working with 12v through a plug. £31 for 10. I have them in my chimney breast at home and they've being working perfectly for nearly a year. I'm having 2 rows of 5 in the headlining.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry not meaning to critise, intrigued actually, is it actually a caravelle?? only reason I ask is that every caravelle I have seen has windows all round and i think they have twin sliders dont they?? look forward to being corrected. :ILU:
I did wonder myself. Always happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but the V5 shows 'Caravelle' and 'Minibus' as vehicle type. It was a Police vehicle, and it has all the seatbelt mounting positions in the rear sides.

·
Registered
152 Posts
use ikea carcases wall unit ones much cheaper :) thats what i am going to use i dont need to cut any thing from the backs either but i am fitting 3/4 bed

·
Registered
503 Posts
I did wonder myself. Always happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but the V5 shows 'Caravelle' and 'Minibus' as vehicle type. It was a Police vehicle, and it has all the seatbelt mounting positions in the rear sides.
Mine logbook Says "Transporter/Caravelle" then "Panel Van" so i imagine the first refers to Vehicle type and second to model if you get my drift. T:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not been able to do too much this weekend as I've had other cars that needed more urgent work.

I got the headlining up... still need to cut it in around the sunroof though

Got the DVD player in the front (only temporarily as the dash is coming out for covering). £80 from fleabay

And fitted the LED spotlights. Can't really see here as the flash was on, but they reflect really well off the flooring

Oh, and fitted my new CMC bra; cheers Mike! And B Pillar black out kit. Photo taken next to Claire's V5 Bug

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Sounds like it is. It should also have the 4 captive nuts in the floor, between the rear wheel arches, under black plastic covers. see

Mine has these & is classed as a diesel car on the V5. This means a big hike next year for the road tax:(
Hope this helps. T:

Edit: That fridge looks cool (pardon thr pun). I would make sure though that you only run it off 240v when hooked up, as it will drain your leisure battery v.quickly when plugged through an inverter.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts